Beijing John Malkovich...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, you would be out of your head too, I guess.

a) this is stupid
b) lacking in taste or respect (for the product, let alone the person) and
c) have you ever thought you are making life easier for yourself by "over indulging"?

I happened to score 161 not out, when very young, for a grown-up team. The Cricket Club chairman bought me 1 1/2 pints of gin and tonic...which set me off on a love of beer and friendship as the headache from the gin lasted at least a month.

Had poor Vernon not been eaten by bears recently, there may have been a kindling of a past misdemeanour or two...
Such a nice cognac..what a waste.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well, you would be out of your head too, I guess.

a) this is stupid
b) lacking in taste or respect (for the product, let alone the person) and
c) have you ever thought you are making life easier for yourself by "over indulging"?

I happened to score 161 not out, when very young, for a grown-up team. The Cricket Club chairman bought me 1 1/2 pints of gin and tonic...which set me off on a love of beer and friendship as the headache from the gin lasted at least a month.

She's first on the guest list of my next party.

Chapeau.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
At a party when I was 15, I was showing off to a girl in the kitchen by drinking tumblers of whisky and punch. A bottle and a half of whisky and the same amount of punch later, I headed back to my girlfriend in the livingroom but passed out halfway. Only the copious retching and her carrying me around the village saved me that night I reckon. To this day, even the smell of whisky makes me ill ( that's why whisky companies market to the over 25s. If you get drunk on whisky when you're young, you'll never touch it again)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We were on an Easyjet flight to Marrakesh in December. Halfway through the flight the captain announced that he was making an emergency landing at Lisbon because of a disruptive passenger. We knew nothing about it until we looked back down the aisle to see a completely plastered teenager staggering towards the front of the plane. Fortunately, a very large, very fit young man (probably military) got out of his seat and told him that if he went one step further he would be decked. This did the trick and four passengers then dragged him into his seat and sat on him while we were landing. A few minutes later, half a dozen mean-looking Portuguese riot police carried the whimpering miscreant off to the cells. A flight attendant showed us the nearly empty bottle of duty-free brandy that he had consumed onboard.
The Chinese lady was lucky not to have died from acute alcohol poisoning.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Anyone who thinks that a generic branded product is worth £120 is a bit of a numpty.

@Aperitif - what you don't tell us is how strong your pint and a half of G&T was. A single G in a half-pint of T three times would make a very refreshing aperitif for a sunny summer afternoon and set one up nicely for the champagne over dinner.

My celebrations arrived in multiple dimple half pint glasses and, as my Chairman was a case-hardened gin drinker, there was maybe a mixer per glassful...as you ask. It was characteristically his way of acknowledging success for his club. No lemons, ice or stuff like that. I remember the bar shelves were stocked with Russian Stout, and Tartan or somesuch was the hot new bitter on the block...Anyone who has played team sport will have participated in some folly or the other - particularly in the Corinthian days; on tours, the best place to put your clothes was probably the WC - never put stuff in the wardrobe.
I played a bit of cricket in Barbados too, and I broke the rum punch drinking record at The Rosebank Inn - 14 and 1/2 apparently in our gentle post-match session. Don't remember much, but was back there early next day in the Mini-Moke to finish the half of one in the fridge and claim my free one. Each drink had 2fl oz of Bajan rum. Now if only they had been banana daquiris... I think the heat saved me from poison...my three team mates wouldn't have done.
As I have withered, I realise that gin and tonic is a lovely drink with lime wiped around the glass and appropriately tonicced. Bombay Saphire for preference...or Lidl best - don't care much.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My celebrations arrived in multiple dimple half pint glasses and, as my Chairman was a case-hardened gin drinker, there was maybe a mixer per glassful...as you ask. It was characteristically his way of acknowledging success for his club. No lemons, ice or stuff like that. I remember the bar shelves were stocked with Russian Stout, and Tartan or somesuch was the hot new bitter on the block...Anyone who has played team sport will have participated in some folly or the other - particularly in the Corinthian days; on tours, the best place to put your clothes was probably the WC - never put stuff in the wardrobe.
I played a bit of cricket in Barbados too, and I broke the rum punch drinking record at The Rosebank Inn - 14 and 1/2 apparently in our gentle post-match session. Don't remember much, but was back there early next day in the Mini-Moke to finish the half of one in the fridge and claim my free one. Each drink had 2fl oz of Bajan rum. Now if only they had been banana daquiris... I think the heat saved me from poison...my three team mates wouldn't have done.
As I have withered, I realise that gin and tonic is a lovely drink with lime wiped around the glass and appropriately tonicced. Bombay Saphire for preference...or Lidl best - don't care much.

From the sublime to the ridiculous.......

I held the record for the earliest ever chucking out from the Morecambe Bier Keller for quite a while. It was a far from glamorous basement dive that served terrible, sweet, strong lager in litre steins. Got there for opening 7pm for someone's birthday when I was about 17. Had a down-in-one stein race with someone else. Had another race with someone else. Had another race with someone else. Toilets.....threw up. Chucked out by the bouncers at 7.45pm before virtually anyone else had even got in

Every now and then I'll have another massive sesh so I'm please to say it's not put me off beer for life, which would be a terrible thing indeed

Tin Pot

Guru
At a party when I was 15, I was showing off to a girl in the kitchen by drinking tumblers of whisky and punch. A bottle and a half of whisky and the same amount of punch later, I headed back to my girlfriend in the livingroom but passed out halfway. Only the copious retching and her carrying me around the village saved me that night I reckon. To this day, even the smell of whisky makes me ill ( that's why whisky companies market to the over 25s. If you get drunk on whisky when you're young, you'll never touch it again)
Hence I haven't touched Irish whiskey since 1994.

From the sublime to the ridiculous.......

I held the record for the earliest ever chucking out from the Morecambe Bier Keller for quite a while. It was a far from glamorous basement dive that served terrible, sweet, strong lager in litre steins. Got there for opening 7pm for someone's birthday when I was about 17. Had a down-in-one stein race with someone else. Had another race with someone else. Had another race with someone else. Toilets.....threw up. Chucked out by the bouncers at 7.45pm before virtually anyone else had even got in

Every now and then I'll have another massive sesh so I'm please to say it's not put me off beer for life, which would be a terrible thing indeed
We MUST go for a beer sometime. Rich and threewalletsmcginty said they would pay...Rich reccomends a day trip to The Harp, followed by solids, then a visit to a quaint little boozer...:whistle:
One Easter rugby tour at the Centre Hotel, Cardiff, I witnessed one gallon buckets of Brains Dark being drunk, eleven beds appearing on the hardstanding of said hotel come the morning (not my team, but a rowdy set from Hemel Hempsted who decided that beds could indeed be 'fly by nights'), a Woodbine smoking contest, a snuff sniffing extravaganza (using the hand and wrist of the mannequin dressed as a Welsh maiden in the hotel foyer...the don't make 'em like they used to..) That tour, on the Sunday morning, I ate 29 slices of toast; I had heard this song about 'bread of heaven'. (I wonder if the Duke of wellington pub still exists in Cardiff? Or perhaps it died of shame...)

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks that a generic branded product is worth £120 is a bit of a numpty.

@Aperitif - what you don't tell us is how strong your pint and a half of G&T was. A single G in a half-pint of T three times would make a very refreshing aperitif for a sunny summer afternoon and set one up nicely for the champagne over dinner.
It's nice - "generic" or not. One has got to be a numpty to buy carbon fibre forks, non?
For reference, my supplier is Thierry Pouilloux and he does a nice demo of the progress of eau de vie to cash, at Porte de Versailles each year - and other places.(And he usually gives me a bottle of Pineau de Charentes to assist those, long, cold, soulless evenings...) :smile:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We MUST go for a beer sometime. Rich and threewalletsmcginty said they would pay...Rich reccomends a day trip to The Harp, followed by solids, then a visit to a quaint little boozer...:whistle:
One Easter rugby tour at the Centre Hotel, Cardiff, I witnessed one gallon buckets of Brains Dark being drunk, eleven beds appearing on the hardstanding of said hotel come the morning (not my team, but a rowdy set from Hemel Hempsted who decided that beds could indeed be 'fly by nights'), a Woodbine smoking contest, a snuff sniffing extravaganza (using the hand and wrist of the mannequin dressed as a Welsh maiden in the hotel foyer...the don't make 'em like they used to..) That tour, on the Sunday morning, I ate 29 slices of toast; I had heard this song about 'bread of heaven'. (I wonder if the Duke of wellington pub still exists in Cardiff? Or perhaps it died of shame...)

Perhaps unsurprisingly my availability is wide open.

One Easter rugby tour to Newcastle ended up with me about to get on a coach to Darlington with a bunch of girls only to be dragged off by the Coach (the "Coach", not the "coach") at 3am to make an 11am k/off in Alnwick that morning. Unsurprisingly I didn't make the starting 15 and I had to explain the most fearful lovebite on my neck to my mum when I got home

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It's nice - "generic" or not. One has got to be a numpty to buy carbon fibre forks, non?
For reference, my supplier is Thierry Pouilloux and he does a nice demo of the progress of eau de vie to cash, at Porte de Versailles each year - and other places.(And he usually gives me a bottle of Pineau de Charentes to assist those, long, cold, soulless evenings...) :smile:

Nice? Its XO. Doesn't matter whether it is branded or not, its XO.

Top Bottom