Best and safest way to clean rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker2772

I wanted to know what is the best and safest way to clean a expensive rim as it has front hub motor. Thanks

If I am wanting to clean something but don't want to damage it I tend to use baby wipes.

si_c

Guru
I use a wet cloth, you can use a wet soapy cloth and then clean off with a damp wet cloth and that would work - especially if you only clean the part of the rim below the hub and then rotate and repeat.

You're not going to damage it. It's a rim. It goes through all the crud on the road.

As above - for a light clean - a babywipw would do it.

If it's really muddy I hose the bike down and bucket and sponge the bike. Avoid tye delicate bits if you're worried but a rim isn't delicate.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Another one who has used white spirit but I've never had an issue resulting from it. I used to wipe the surface with first then immediately dry with a clean cloth then wash with hot soapy water and rinse off.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
+1 for baby wipes or a hose down

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Like the rest of my bike - hot water with detergent and a brush.
For special deep-clean I use isopropyl alcohol.
Never use lubricants on braking surfaces.

I thought baby wipes had been cancelled and are now officially evil.

I clean my (rim-brake) bike rims with an oldtoothbrush dipped in washing-up liquid soaped water. Then wipe muck of with bits of paper. Takes a fair few passes though.

i have thought of using isopropyl alcohol, as much recommended, including above.

Question about it - a search on the websites of both Toolstation and Screwfix doesn't seem to list it.

Which rather surprised me if it's such a good cleaner.

Any reason for this?

Do those switched on tradespeople use something else for such jobs that is just as good/better and cheaper?

Last edited:
Top Bottom