Best club in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Kicks

I want to become a proper cyclist, which is the very best club to join in London as far as having a top group of guys/gals to train and race with ?

Cheers

J

yello

Whereabouts in north London are you?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
A few questions:

What do you mean by 'proper cyclist'?
What is your aim? Ie what type of cycling are you interested in? Ie track, Road, spotives, time trials? What level are you at ie categories or to be more simplistic are you a beginner,intermediate etc..and what are you dreams - regional, national,olypic/elite etc?
How do you work best- do you like to ease into stuff or are you a baptism of fire/chucked in the deep end kind of person?
What is your fitness like?
What are you strengths with your fitness etc Are you good at endurance or power/sprints etc
What type of people do you want to meet/train with?Ie is competiveness most important or do you want social aspect/friendliness etc - can help you make an informed decision about joining a club with the focus you want.

Lot of questions but these things are important to know to help answer your which club question...

davidg

hijacking thread!

I am going to look at this...

would be interested in opinion...

I am okay fitness wise but nothing special...looking to improve so it would be good if there are different levels to move to..I am new to road biking, but do commute circa 14 miles per day in total

the idea of a time trail makes me cringe, although I would give it a go...

would mainly like to build up and improve my fitness for longer distances

am in West London and plan to look at Twickenham and Willesden CCs

any others to check out?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Willesden is definitely worth a day out. Friendly crew. And, although I've never been out with Twickenham I've seen them a few times at Hampton Bridge and they're all smiling - so they must be doing something right.

And don't forget the Kingston Phoenix.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi David

tut - hijacking!!

I don't know the clubs you mention but TT are good for sustained pacing on a route of pre determined length - ie 25/10 miles. Really teaches you to be an efficient rider but also good to get lots of low level ie not lung busting sociable miles in on the bike so you can up your base fitness that way. Winter and autumn are the great time for it! Time trials are great if you don't like changing pace a lot which is sometimes what is required in road racing. Give it a go and good luck!

The longer options would be to do some sportives and also to head out with a club on their long weekend rides which is essential for getting some mileage in and also just to get the body used to cycling and cycling more efficiently.

OP
OP
J

J-Kicks

TTcycle, cheers

I'm near Camden, by 'proper' I mean becoming competitive. I like road stuff, basically I can't run anymore due to on-going achilles tendon issues so have returned to my first love of riding bikes. I've good base fitness (could run 10km in sub 30mins), have been riding in Richmond Park most weekends stretching my rides out to 3 & a half- 4 hours, a few ITB niggles round the knee but wanting to take the next step. I commute each day on my bike for just over an hour all up with a couple of decent climbs.

Ideally want to hook up and ride with a good group of riders who I can learn from/test myself against, I'm happy jumping in the deep end.

Cheers !

J

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I used to live north of the river but it wasn't too difficult to get down to Croydon for the Addiscombe rides. Good club...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you want to give yourself a hard time, try Epsom CC. A lot of clubs just play at 'training' (as in the 'London Dynamo' ahem) The Epsom are the real deal. They'll tear your legs off. 60 or 70 miles on a Sunday morning, and if you can't hold on to the back, soyanara. I went out with them once, and a chap went off the side of the road in to the ditch. Nobody looked back.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The best thing I can suggest if you want to stay North of the river (my knowledge of clubs up there are limited) is to head onto the British Cyling pages and look up any clubs - fire 'em an email and then ask the questions ie what coaching is available, what standard do your members race at, what focus does the club have ie what type of racing etc - you have a good idea of what you want so that will be an excellent basis to start from. I ruled out a few clubs through this method- you'll be surprised at how many have become quite stand offish- that put me off a few. Then you can get out on a few trial club runs with the clubs that seem decent and meet some of the people - that will give a good idea of whether you want to join- the social side is very important.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
zimzum42 said:
I used to live north of the river but it wasn't too difficult to get down to Croydon for the Addiscombe rides. Good club...

+1 for Addiscombe.
Dever has some good riders as well.

BigSteev

dellzeqq said:
I went out with them once, and a chap went off the side of the road in to the ditch. Nobody looked back.

You really shouldn't cut people up like that Simon. :biggrin:

Top Bottom