.." best food to take on a ride???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbspark

i'm doing a 45 mile ride next sunday,
not a very long one for most of you guys on here , but my biggest yet,
so was just wondering what food to take as i wont have too much space to carry it,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Energy drink - like Isostar Long Energy - 2 bottles, then flapjack, malt loaf, frusili bar, banana's (delete as appropriate).

Drink at regular intervals - I used 2 700ml bottles over 60 miles last week (wasn't hot though) and consumed 1 bottle within an hour and a half.

The 3 snacks I had were at 15, 30 and 45 miles (or there abouts). Don't wait too long before eating or drinking - that starts straight away.

Mr Pig

A couple of bananas and some chocolate bars, high energy stuff like that. Try not to eat heavy, stodgy food because it'll drag you down, I mean after you eat it.

An energy drink like Lucozade Sport helps a lot. Mix some in your water bottle and take another 'serving' in powder in a plastic bag. That way you can fill your bottle with water and add the powder to get another full bottle.

I just stick it all in a carrier bag and tie it around my handlebars. It'll be gone soon enough, then you can bin the carrier and you're not left wearing an empty rucksack.

We went on a ride a few months ago and one of the guys who came had never been on long bike ride before. He had 'TWO' two litre bottles of water in his rucksack! I don't know if he got confused and thought we were going to the moon! ;0)

wafflycat

isotonic drinks, such as Lucozade Sport, High 5, SiS...

isontonic gels

flapjack is good
dried apricots
banananananananananananananana
oatcakes

Eat & drink little and often. If you wait until you are thirsty before you drink - you've left it too long.

Mr Pig

gbspark said:
lol, did you get to the moon then??

No, we stayed on the Scottish hills as we couldn't quite get up the speed to defeat earth's gravity ;0) Too old and fat, maybe in my younger days.

I've never taken a rucksack on a ride. I prefer to travel as light as possible. From what I've seen the more bags people carry the more junk they'll find to put in them.

I never wear a watch. Thanks to the fact that everyone else wears one I don't have to :0)

yello

My usual 100km fare is a banana and 2 bits of homemade flapjack (from the recipe posted on the forum some time ago, my preferred 'flavourings' being ginger and fig btw). I also carry a couple of gels, just in case, but very rarely have them.

With regards to liquid, I carry a litre of home brew energy drink and 750cl of plain water. My last ride was a 130km outing and I refilled the 750cl bidon with water on route.

My favourite is Malt loaf – it seems to have a good balance of substance and sugar for a lasting and also instant kick. It also stays in one piece if you sit on it.

I drink Coffee all day when not cycling and if I do not have a coffee I often get a headache. I know they say don’t drink caffeine while doing sport but I find I do get withdrawal symptoms if I do not get some. I try to leave it as late as I can in the ride. A Red Bull in the saddle bag will get me through the last 10 miles on a long ride.

JohnRedcoRn

does any of this make a diference ? i just wnt to go to sleep after eating this stuff.

jelly babies, bananas and cereal bars for me. +water, no energy drink...jesus, on top of all the other stuff i'll be in a diabetic coma !!

Mr Pig

Over The Hill said:
I drink Coffee all day when not cycling and if I do not have a coffee I often get a headache. A Red Bull in the saddle bag will get me through

You junky! ;0)

I was taking cans of Red Bull to work for a while. Then I noticed that far from making me feel better I was feeling strange and getting headaches when I 'didn't drink it! These things are properly addictive. They might seem to pick you up at the time, but on average you're a lot worse for drinking them.

Yes, energy drinks do make a difference, definitely. I tend to only use them if going for a ride that's a bit longer than normal. Lucazade is quite good value, although it's £6 for a tub it does quite a few litres. It a fraction of cost of the drinks you buy in sachets.

I think it was Jamie Oliver who said about kids drinking Red Bull that you'd be better giving your kids a line of coke!

red_tom

Another vote for maltloaf. Cut in half, squash it down and then wrap each bit in foil. It seems to have good 'keepdownability' as well.

Kovu

Über Member
red_tom said:
Another vote for maltloaf. Cut in half, squash it down and then wrap each bit in foil. It seems to have good 'keepdownability' as well.

Is that a real word? :?:;)

Top Bottom