.." best food to take on a ride???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

I don't carry food normally, but on longer rides I'll have some tracker bars. I just forage for whatever I can find en route :?:

Dave.

Mr Pig

dodgy said:
I just forage for whatever I can find en route.

I have a mental picture of a cyclist rummaging through the long grass looking for berries and bugs!

Mr Pig said:
You junky! ;0)

I was taking cans of Red Bull to work for a while. Then I noticed that far from making me feel better I was feeling strange and getting headaches when I 'didn't drink it! These things are properly addictive. They might seem to pick you up at the time, but on average you're a lot worse for drinking them.

Yes, energy drinks do make a difference, definitely. I tend to only use them if going for a ride that's a bit longer than normal. Lucazade is quite good value, although it's £6 for a tub it does quite a few litres. It a fraction of cost of the drinks you buy in sachets.

I think it was Jamie Oliver who said about kids drinking Red Bull that you'd be better giving your kids a line of coke!

I admit it! I usually only 'do' coffee. Had a machine at work where I kept helping myself to it and moved up through the strengths.
Red Bull only comes out on the long cycle rides and even then I will save it for the final 10-15 miles.

red_tom said:
Another vote for maltloaf. Cut in half, squash it down and then wrap each bit in foil. It seems to have good 'keepdownability' as well.

You part timer! Only half a loaf! I managed to eat a whole one on a 100 miler (and my cheese sandwich).

I blame Nick Park - he started it all with turnoffandonable on the heating adverts.

MessenJah

Rider
Malt loaf is the baddest cycling food. I could eat it all day but after a few slices it tends to make my teeth hurt.

simoncc

gbspark said:
i'm doing a 45 mile ride next sunday,
not a very long one for most of you guys on here , but my biggest yet,
so was just wondering what food to take as i wont have too much space to carry it,

Bottle of water and a 99p bag of Jelly Babies. And take some cash in case you run out of go, though that's very unlikely.

Mr Phoebus

1475.jpg

Lashings of ginger beer and piles of ham sandwiches. Wizard!

OP
OP
G

gbspark

hi guys
when you have malt loaf, which i love, but only with butter do you put butter on it when you ride????
should imagine its a bit messy?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have a bowl of porridge with honey for breakfast before I leave, and on a 40-50 mile ride I would take a couple of bananas and a few Jordans Frusli bars. Two large bottles of water and away I go.

Top Bottom