Best Hi Vis? Vest, coat, backpack etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amaferanga

Veteran
Combination of hi-viz and good lights, then you have good visibilty from both reflective and direct light to other road users.

But it's possible to be visible without wearing a yellow vest. Normal light coloured cycling clothes (perhaps with some reflective piping) are just as effective without making cyclists look like bollards. We don't make pedestrians wear yellow vests, nor do we make all cars bright yellow so why should cyclists wear a ridiculous 'uniform' and (for some cyclists) make themselves uncomfortably hot because they feel that they ALWAYS have to wear their magic jacket?

Reflective vests have for some motons already become compulsory such that I've had muppets claiming they drove at me because they couldn't see me as I wasn't wearing a yellow jacket (of course they did see me, but were trying to bully me out of the way). I for one don't want to see a time when motorists can blame cyclists for collisions by claiming they were negligent due to not wearing a magic jacket or vest. We're getting perilously close IMO.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wear what YOU feel comfortable / safer wearing. Same as with helmets :smile:

I don't wear yellow during the day always, although my light gilet is yellow, but I do if the weather is poor or it's dark, makes ME feel safer, especially in heavy traffic - for ME, that's what counts.

Most cyclists not wearing a high viz top, don't seem to wear light colours either round here - typically black, and often lights are optional too :whistle:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
But it's possible to be visible without wearing a yellow vest. Normal light coloured cycling clothes (perhaps with some reflective piping) are just as effective without making cyclists look like bollards. We don't make pedestrians wear yellow vests, nor do we make all cars bright yellow so why should cyclists wear a ridiculous 'uniform' and (for some cyclists) make themselves uncomfortably hot because they feel that they ALWAYS have to wear their magic jacket?

Reflective vests have for some motons already become compulsory such that I've had muppets claiming they drove at me because they couldn't see me as I wasn't wearing a yellow jacket (of course they did see me, but were trying to bully me out of the way). I for one don't want to see a time when motorists can blame cyclists for collisions by claiming they were negligent due to not wearing a magic jacket or vest. We're getting perilously close IMO.
Its amazing , i say hi viz and people assume i mean canary yellow to quote wiki
High-visibility clothing, a type of personal protective equipment (PPE), is any clothing worn that has highly reflective properties or a colour that is easily discernible from any background.
,and if you choose not to wear reflective clothing then thats up to you but the OP is clearly concerned for the safety of his family and would you say that no matter what stance you take i would rather a child have the best chance of being seen .
Whats more important ? the moral highground or the best you can do to ensure the safety of your loved ones.
If you want to debate the merits or disadvantages of the subject please start a thread in an appropiate part of the forum rather than using poor justifications to add to your agenda.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
he has a site Policewitness.com that sells high vis vests for £19.99! They have POLICE in large letters on the back. I thought it wasnt allowed as impersonating a police officer
Had a quick look at the vest.. It looks nothing like a Police top and has POLICE / Witness.com on it. In my opinion it's not trying to impersonate. Agree £20 is a bit much though

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
If you want bright you could try these from Elevengear.com
http://www.elevengear.com/roadwear/coral-snake/coral-snake-jersey-men-s.html
csk-jer-m-2k.jpg

http://www.elevengear.com/roadwear/traffic-master/traffic-master-jersey-long-sleeve-men-s.html
tmx-jer-ls-m-backv-2k.jpg

Please wear shades before veiwing...

amaferanga

Veteran
Its amazing , i say hi viz and people assume i mean canary yellow to quote wiki
High-visibility clothing, a type of personal protective equipment (PPE), is any clothing worn that has highly reflective properties or a colour that is easily discernible from any background.
,and if you choose not to wear reflective clothing then thats up to you but the OP is clearly concerned for the safety of his family and would you say that no matter what stance you take i would rather a child have the best chance of being seen .
Whats more important ? the moral highground or the best you can do to ensure the safety of your loved ones.
If you want to debate the merits or disadvantages of the subject please start a thread in an appropiate part of the forum rather than using poor justifications to add to your agenda.

It's got nothing to do with the moral high ground. High vis clothing for cyclists invariably refers to bright yellow waistcoats and jackets and I am of the opinion that these are no more effective than normal bright coloured cycle clothing. Most of my stuff has some reflective piping so perhaps that makes it high vis anyway. But anyway, the only point really wanted to make was that good lights are FAR more important and effective.

Top Bottom