Best way to navigate a 50 mile ride...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I like maps. The problem is that OS type maps are a pain to get out, unfold, hold up in the rain, refold etc. even though they are great fun to use. I tend to print out Google Maps views on A4 sheets (black and white) and mark my route with a pen. You can stick the lot in a silicone map zipper thingy to keep the rain out. It's almost certainly a less efficient system than satnav but I like it.

BTW, (and way off-topic) did you know that you can get a Brian Sewell voice for your car satnav? Splendid!

Davidc

Guru
I like maps. The problem is that OS type maps are a pain to get out, unfold, hold up in the rain, refold etc. even though they are great fun to use. I tend to print out Google Maps views on A4 sheets (black and white) and mark my route with a pen. You can stick the lot in a silicone map zipper thingy to keep the rain out. It's almost certainly a less efficient system than satnav but I like it.

BTW, (and way off-topic) did you know that you can get a Brian Sewell voice for your car satnav? Splendid!
I've found that if you carefully steam the glue off the card cover and remove it the rest of an OS map folds much better.

Bing maps can be switched to OS maps and printed to A4 sheets too.

Ihatehills

I'm fairly ashamed to admit that I am totally reliant on a gps, I have a sense of direction that is worse than useless, and i always find maps either not detailed enough or too detailed if that makes any sense. If it wasn't for Garmin, I would never venture into the land of unknown, I am however fairly new to cycling and am not very comfortable on busy roads. Any way I've found http://cycle.travel/ to be really useful and it gives step by step instructions that you can print off if you don't want to use a gps

RichardB

Slightly retro
Noob question: if you use your mobile phone for navigation, what about battery life? I used my iphone with a motorcycle app called Ride Logger once. My battery normally lasts a day or two, but with using the GPS chip full time, it ran out after about 2-3 hours. OK for a short day ride, but what about longer trips where you can't just plug it into a 12v socket? Also, if you are using Google or Apple maps, don't you have to be in signal range, and doesn't this use tons of data? (Declaration: I use my iphone 4 for the odd call and text, nothing else, so I am so far behind the curve I am horizontal.)

However, I love the satnav in my car (and also pressed into service on a motorbike) and would be interested if something similar can be molished together for the bicycle. Maps are great at home, and a faff everywhere else.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've found that if you carefully steam the glue off the card cover and remove it the rest of an OS map folds much better.

Bing maps can be switched to OS maps and printed to A4 sheets too.
It's the unfolding and folding that gets to be a right pain, especially in wet and windy conditions. I bought some Dutch Falk maps of the Netherlands at 1:50,000 scale. They are well designed and beautifully clear, specifically designed for cyclists. It just took a few drops of rain to start them falling apart at the seams.

BTW, if you want maps of Europe, go to dezwerver, a Dutch map company. You can phone them and talk to delightful sales people who are very helpful
https://www.dezwerver.nl/

Tim Hall

Noob question: if you use your mobile phone for navigation, what about battery life? I used my iphone with a motorcycle app called Ride Logger once. My battery normally lasts a day or two, but with using the GPS chip full time, it ran out after about 2-3 hours. OK for a short day ride, but what about longer trips where you can't just plug it into a 12v socket? Also, if you are using Google or Apple maps, don't you have to be in signal range, and doesn't this use tons of data? (Declaration: I use my iphone 4 for the odd call and text, nothing else, so I am so far behind the curve I am horizontal.)

However, I love the satnav in my car (and also pressed into service on a motorbike) and would be interested if something similar can be molished together for the bicycle. Maps are great at home, and a faff everywhere else.
As mentioned up thread, I use Osmand, which is primarily an android thing, so not directly relevant to you as a iphone user. Anyway by turning off bluetooth, nfc and wifi, I had enough battery power on my Galaxy S4 mini for a whole day of navigating. I used voice commands in my ear in preference to watching the screen which I guess also saved battery.

The great thing about Osmand is that you can download Open Street Maps and save them to the phone, so it doesn't chew through your data allowance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sadly, I think GPS has nailed the art of traditional map route planning.
I was going to say something rude, but I'll restrain myself ... :whistle:

I have a digital 1:50,000 OS map of Britain and I plan all of my new routes on that, and then transfer them to a GPS device for navigation. Best of both worlds ... :okay:

200 km forum ride:

200 km route overview.jpg

200 km route overview 1 in 5000.jpg

200 km route detail 1 in 5000.jpg

RichardB

Slightly retro
Anyway by turning off bluetooth, nfc and wifi, I had enough battery power on my Galaxy S4 mini for a whole day of navigating ... The great thing about Osmand is that you can download Open Street Maps and save them to the phone, so it doesn't chew through your data allowance.
Aha! That sounds like a plan. Cheers.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I was going to say something rude, but I'll restrain myself ... :whistle:

I have a digital 1:50,000 OS map of Britain and I plan all of my new routes on that, and then transfer them to a GPS device for navigation. Best of both worlds ... :okay:

200 km forum ride:

View attachment 98854

View attachment 98853

View attachment 98852
I bought Memory Map on your recommendation and have never regretted it. I especially love the fact that you can print out the bits of the map that you need, which I frequently do for both cycling and walking.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought Memory Map on your recommendation and have never regretted it. I especially love the fact that you can print out the bits of the map that you need, which I frequently do for both cycling and walking.
Another satisfied 'customer'! :okay:

I am thinking of upgrading to the latest HD version which would print better, and can be installed on up to 5 devices, so laptop, desktop, tablet, phone and a compatible GPS. I think there is a discount for registered owners of earlier versions.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Another satisfied 'customer'! :okay:

I am thinking of upgrading to the latest HD version which would print better, and can be installed on up to 5 devices, so laptop, desktop, tablet, phone and a compatible GPS. I think there is a discount for registered owners of earlier versions.
I've downloaded the 1:25k HD version for a trial run. Not sure I can justify the £360 but I might get treat myself to the standard version.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My battery normally lasts a day or two, but with using the GPS chip full time, it ran out after about 2-3 hours. [...] (Declaration: I use my iphone 4 for the odd call and text, nothing else, so I am so far behind the curve I am horizontal.)
GPS seemed to suddenly get better about power consumption when I upgraded my Android phone about two years ago. The iPhone 4 is now five years old, so might still have the old power-hungry things, but I don't really follow Apple so could be wrong. Extra battery packs are also getting smaller and smaller...

RichardB

Slightly retro
GPS seemed to suddenly get better about power consumption when I upgraded my Android phone about two years ago. The iPhone 4 is now five years old, so might still have the old power-hungry things, but I don't really follow Apple so could be wrong. Extra battery packs are also getting smaller and smaller...
Thanks for this. I didn't know this about the GPS chips. If I use the GPS in my iPhone 4, it eats the battery and also heats up the casing noticeably - presumably that's where the energy is going. And changing the battery is not a trivial business with that phone - I put a new one in, and it took a micro-sized screwdriver, a bit of heat, a lot of swearing and half an hour to do, as it is pretty much factory sealed. Not a roadside fix! To be honest, when it dies, I'm going back to the old Nokia 6310i, which still has half its battery bars after six months in a cupboard, and which has good call quality in places where the iPhone can't even get a signal. But the iPhone refuses to die.

Top Bottom