Bianchi 1885 stolen from Richmond Park (London)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
Once again my Bianchi has been stolen. This time from Richond Park London on Sunday 7th April at around midday.

It was resting outside the Rohampton cafe with all our other bikes, there were around 20 of us still there. People were in close proximity (with 6 feet) but were talking amongst themselves and didn't notice someone just walk away with my bike.
I've done this dozens of times before especially as there were so many fellow cyclists standing and sitting around but I guess this also makes it very easy for someone to casually walk away a bike un-noticed.

It is a Celeste and white Bianchi 1885 with black decals. Black Brooks saddle, Scirocco wheels, Veloce groupset.
I fitted it with a White FSA 90mm stem with a carbon faceplate which isn't a standard part. Various scuffs and marks which I could describe in detail.

It's not a common model, especially with the carbon seatstays, so there won't be many floating around and I have the frame number and receipts as proof of ownership.

The photo doesn't show the Brooks Saddle, but the rest is the same.

Attachments

• 58936_10151630915138313_1839858248_n.jpg
    58936_10151630915138313_1839858248_n.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 153

kerndog

Bugger!

Sorry to hear that mate, sounds like you were really unlucky there...

brucers

Guru
Whilst it's horrible to have your things stolen bikes or otherwise and you have my sympathy but I've got to ask, you seem to be saying it was not locked up - is this the case?

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Whilst it's horrible to have your things stolen bikes or otherwise and you have my sympathy but I've got to ask, you seem to be saying it was not locked up - is this the case?

Unfortunately this was the case. As I've done dozens of times before I left it in front of the rest of the group. There was at least 4 people stood talking about 10 feet away and another guy sat on his bike about 2 feet away from it.
I think it's a case of there being so many cyclists wandering around with bikes that no one noticed when one of those bikes was mine and it was not being pushed by me.
To get it out of the cafe the theif would have had to have walked past not only the 4/5 people (which I knew, there were many more cyclist around) in the immediate vicinity but also the rest of the 15 people who were waiting by the entrance to the cafe area.

brucers

Guru
Certainly sounds that way....and maybe the perpetrator was wearing appropriate gear. Bit late I know but for future reference (which me and my good lady do), use you a lock and chain a couple of bikes together, as with that many bikes around there's not alway a static option free.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Certainly sounds that way....and maybe the perpetrator was wearing appropriate gear. Bit late I know but for future reference (which me and my good lady do), use you a lock and chain a couple of bikes together, as with that many bikes around there's not alway a static option free.
I usually carry a small lock but didn't have it with me that day as I have never felt the need to use it in RP by the cafe especially as we knew some of our group had already got coffee and were standing so close to the bikes.
It must be a thieves heaven there come to think of it. So often I have seen groups of riders leave their very expensive bikes outside and all go in together leaving them unattended. I've done this a couple of times when with groups of riders as well. Complacency got the better of me this time.

Unlucky (again).
Please tell me it was insured!

I wish I could. It hadn't been insured for over a year (because it's never left "unattended"). Although as it wasn't locked up, the insurance wouldn't have covered it unless I had lied. I blame myself...again and another expensive lesson learnt.

It was about 4 years old so time for an upgrade anyway :rolleyes:

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Feel for you. I am guilty of the same thing at my usual cafe stops as my bike is always in view. I did buy one of these a couple of weeks ago and use it when my bike is in the shed. It is really light weight and this sad event has made me decide to shove it in my pocket on future rides. OK wont stop someone trying to nick the bike but will give me a warning. Just hope no body bumps into my bike!
http://www.tesco.com/direct/yale-lo..._cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CKjIiuncwrYCFU3KtAodEUwAPw

e-rider

crappy member
cafe locks are great for stopping this type of crime, however, there can be a tendency when using a cafe lock to get too relaxed - remember that a cafe lock doesn't provide much security, so think of the bike as not being locked and always still keep a very close eye on it at cafe stops.
I'm always absolutely amazed on club rides how many riders leave very expensive bikes outside the cafe without a second thought - clearly people that have never had a bike stolen but it's just a matter of time really.

Bummer indeed, thats my worst nightmare redjedi, you have my sympathies (unfortunately I cant do more than that :sad:) I usually carry a cafe lock but have often been ridiculed for doing so. My insurance covers me for an unlocked bike at a organised event but not a club/social run :ohmy:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
i've often wondered about this at sportives. No one locks their bikes at the rest stops.
All it takes is some guy in lycra and shoes to cycle away with any bike he wishes, no one would bat an eye lid.

Top Bottom