Big Guy or Small Bike you decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
This picture made me laugh, just shows what perspective can do.
The small guy is only 5 foot 6, and the others are both over 6 foot.
article-0-1B4C3738000005DC-148_634x485.jpg

The Couch

Über Member
This picture made me laugh, just shows what perspective can do.
The small guy is only 5 foot 6, and the others are both over 6 foot.
Strange... must have missed that game, because this doesn't ring much of a bell... and why is Kompany looking bigger then Fellaini on this picture :smile:?
(Especially with Fellaini being closer to the camera)

Anyway, back in the spirit of the thread...
Apparently they switched it around this year and here's Cav on the bike of Svdb:
BdZPBccCYAEwc3x.jpg

He might not be able to touch the ground, but at least he can just about reach the pedals ^_^

fimm

Veteran
Cav looks a bit worried and also as if he's trying not to laugh... (the crossbar must be high enough to worry him, I would have thought...?)

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Cav looks a bit of a fatty at the moment. I know he's been experimenting with body weight over the past few years, is he going for heavy this year?

tigger

Über Member
Cav looks a bit of a fatty at the moment. I know he's been experimenting with body weight over the past few years, is he going for heavy this year?

As pro cyclists go he's always got a higher body fat % than most of the others, but he's always especially porky this time of year. Likes his food and finds it hard to keep the weight off.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cavendish has gone down a frame size for this season to a 49 :eek: despite standing at a decidedly average 1.75m (5ft 8in).

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-mark-cavendishs-specialized-s-works-venge-39539/
Wow !
I know bike fit is subjective with a lot of variables but it makes interesting reading as i am 1 inch shorter than Cav and have my seat about 8 mm higher but 1 cm further forward .People keep telling me i have my saddle to low but heel on pedal gives me the same fit as .889 x inside leg to BB , close to KOPS but slightly behind BB ( for those who use that method ). This seems to work for me .
He is also heavier than me , but his weight could be post x mas bloat atm .I hover around 147 llbs normally , dipping under in summer .

oldroadman

Veteran
Wow !
I know bike fit is subjective with a lot of variables but it makes interesting reading as i am 1 inch shorter than Cav and have my seat about 8 mm higher but 1 cm further forward .People keep telling me i have my saddle to low but heel on pedal gives me the same fit as .889 x inside leg to BB , close to KOPS but slightly behind BB ( for those who use that method ). This seems to work for me .
He is also heavier than me , but his weight could be post x mas bloat atm .I hover around 147 llbs normally , dipping under in summer .
The formula for basic fit I was taught (which was the same as Le Blaireau used), is inside leg to ground (no shoes) then multiply by 0.883 for saddle top to centre of bracket axle, measured down the seat tube. Which is mighty close to your 0.889, and as both can be adjusted for leg proportions is a good start. A lot of people might say many pros sit too low, to which the response is, "try it for 5 or 6 hours without a stop at steady but decent speed, then make a judgment". In my view, people often look a bit too high, possibly derived from the time trialling culture where you can sit high and a long way forward (this is OK for a short trip, but...).

Top Bottom