Big.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fimm

Veteran
I'm not at all an expert, but I have some notion that going from lifting very heavy weights for few reps to lifting slightly less heavy weights for more reps might be helpful (if you can lift at all - I've no idea what BPPV is but rotator cuff damage isn't a good thing, I do know that). (Apologies if that's really obvious to you!)

I've read "Racing Weight" mentioned above - you'll probably feel it doesn't talk quite to where you are, but the advice in general is good.

Retribution03

Stop eating us little people may help lol

Ajay

Veteran
What is the point in comparing yourself to someone who is "built for road cycling"? I'm sure they don't expect to bench press the same as you!
I'm a big unit too, 6'2", 17st and I'm happy to accept that I'll never be a good road racer, but I know I could beat Froome in an arm wrestle, so what?
You must be on a full on high calorie/protein diet to keep that size up. In the short term I'd simply stick with that but cut down the portion sizes.
As has been said, put more miles in on the bike.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
I too have BPPV and was advised to avoid two wheels. I took this seriously and now ride recumbent trikes. I was beginning to think I'd over reacted when I took my wife's bike around a carpark to check out her gear indexing. I rode with no issues, got off the bike and promptly fell over! Had the attack hit me on the bike, AND on a busy road....

I've had a handful of attacks* over the the years since diagnosis and some have been whilst on the trikes. In none of these has my safety, or anyone else's, been an issue. Three wheels and a low CofG is enough to keep me safe.

I know the exercises to move the debris away from the sensors in my ears and it works. So any attack is followed by my rolling around on the nearest flat surface in order to sort it out.

* Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo is caused by debris in the inner ear balance canals hitting the hairlike sensors that usually sense the movement of the fluid there in. The debris overloads the balance sense and causes 'the world' to spin wildly!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

As I'm getting old (I'm 45) this is starting to irk me).

Your only 45 you're a young un, stop thinking of yourself as old, I'll make 63 in a few months and I'm still a young un, I'm 5' 6" and about 11 stone.

Top Bottom