Bike accident with car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
img_20220605_150530-jpg.jpg

This is what happened to my bike, including bent handlebars and wheel most likely damaged.
You need to get the bike to a local bike shop (LBS) for then to certify the damage and give you an estimate. They'll be able to confirm the bent handlebars (I confess surprise that someone driving into you from behind managed that) and whether the wheel is actually damaged. Point out to the LBS where you think the frame has been scratched (eg image) in the incident.
I would hold off the lawyers till you know how much you're looking at.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You need to get the bike to a local bike shop (LBS) for then to certify the damage and give you an estimate. They'll be able to confirm the bent handlebars (I confess surprise that someone driving into you from behind managed that) and whether the wheel is actually damaged. Point out to the LBS where you think the frame has been scratched (eg image) in the incident.
I would hold off the lawyers till you know how much you're looking at.
The bike hitting the deck is enough to bend the bars. Done it myself with a low speed topple.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Carbon frame? May be damage that is not obvious to the untrained eye. Get it checked out for stress fractures.

A friends frame has never been the same since being sideswiped - the alignment is out slightly (fairly sure it is carbon as well apart from the hanger) & gears never quite worked since, took an early settlement and probably regrets this now, though is still in the throws of final settlement for her injuries (as was the other cyclist hit) don't rush a settlement.
Perhaps having one thread as all 3 are the same issue may help you as well with replies

I luckily captured the incident on my GoPro. She did stop and was apologetic. She called the police and then we exchanged details. Regardless of that, it doesn't make the situation any better as it was her fault for not paying attention. I have reported the issue to the police. I also reported it to British Cycling for insurance claim but my membership was not valid at the time of the incident so I'm not sure if they'll be able to do anything or if I have to renew my membership.

British cycling would put you in touch with a solicitor. Nothing to stop you doing this yourself.

Carbon frame? May be damage that is not obvious to the untrained eye. Get it checked out for stress fractures.

And who does that ?

Sure there are companies that repair carbon frames - but the examination IME is a visual inspection - frame repairers with an x-ray machine are pretty rare.

Ive also read somewhere that an x-ray of a carbon frame is far from the gold standard that is often quoted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SRanger

The fork is carbon though

vickster

Legendary Member
If you get it assessed for insurance purposes, it is likely the LBS will deem it a write off due to the carbon fork, so you’d need a new fork at the very least. This is what a friend was recently told by 3 bikes shops after a car turned right across her.

Solicitors engaged on a no win no fee basis are unlikely to be very interested as there’s no injury (so mo decent pay out for them). They may well suggest you get a quote from a couple of LBS and go direct to the drivers insurers with the bill.
You might be able to do something through your home insurers if you have legal cover?

vickster

Legendary Member
And who does that ?

Sure there are companies that repair carbon frames - but the examination IME is a visual inspection - frame repairers with an x-ray machine are pretty rare.

Ive also read somewhere that an x-ray of a carbon frame is far from the gold standard that is often quoted.

There’s a place in Dorking according to my LBS as a local example. However, it would be easier just to replace the fork as the only carbon bit

OP
OP
S

SRanger

Paint chips on the frame, left shifter hood bent and destroyed. Rear wheel might be damaged due to the impact.

Top Bottom