Bike brands in order

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glass Kites

Hi all,

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were on which road bike brands were thought of more highly than others.

Obviously I know this is mostly personal preference, and open to details (i.e. make/model of brand). Also, don't want to turn this into a "my bikes better than yours".

I'm genuinely asking because I wouldn't have any idea if I looked at a handful of bikes in my LBS as to which were good and which weren't as good, without being influenced by the price.

Taking the logic of generally saying Barcelona are a better team than Bolton Wanderers.
Or... you wouldn't necessarily turn your head in the street if a Vauxhall Corsa passed you, but you'd be more inclined to look twice if a Ferrari went down your road.

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
Brave man. I think you've just opened a very large can of worms. I'll get me deckchair ^_^

:reading::popcorn:

vickster

Legendary Member
These days, I don't personally buy bikes from any big brands, I stick to British companies
Pearson
Genesis
Planet X
(Just sold a Whyte)

I'll never buy a Specialized, nor a Giant, probably not Trek nor Cannondale

If I get another bike, it'll be something astonishingly beautiful and expensive in titanium from Condor :wub:

The best bike for you is the one you like the look of and that fits you, has the spec you want and fits your budget if you have one, doesn't matter what anyone else rides. You mostly get what you pay for, although the big brands with big marketing and sponsorship budgets often cost more for the same or even lower spec, but you'll probably get a lifetime warranty on the frame

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
These days, I don't personally buy bikes from any big brands, I stick to British companies
Pearson
Genesis
Planet X
(Just sold a Whyte)

I'll never buy a Specialized, nor a Giant, probably not Trek nor Cannondale

If I get another bike, it'll be something astonishingly beautiful and expensive in titanium from Condor :wub:

The best bike for you is the one you like the look of and that fits you, has the spec you want and fits your budget if you have one, doesn't matter what anyone else rides. You mostly get what you pay for, although the big brands with big marketing and sponsorship budgets often cost more for the same or even lower spec, but you'll probably get a lifetime warranty on the frame

I'm with you on buying 'British' brands where possible. Vive la difference!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Seeing as there are thousands of bike brands it becomes a very tricky proposition, especially as there is not a budget constraint and you don't say the type of riding you are interested in. Vickster is totally right though - there is no point in the fanciest of bikes if you cannot ride it due to bad fit or inappropriate choice. Personally I own bikes from Trek, Giant 2x , and Pashley with a Canyon on the way.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It depends what kind of bike. Are you talking about bikes for racing? for recreational distance riding? for commuting? for riding muddy trails? for folding up and putting in a cupboard?

My "brands" with which I'm quite happy (in no particular order): Spa; Brompton; hand-cobbled-by-me.

Which isn't to say "my bike's better than yours" but "my bike's good enough for me".

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
How about - you list the brands your LBS stocks and we sort out the list? :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Im a Koga fan. Handbuilt in Holland. I have the Koga World Traveller and the Roadchamp. You dont see much of Koga on cycle forums.

They are well built, great to ride and have very good specs. My LBS is a Koga dealer and I always get excellent service from them and that is a good bonus.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Im a Koga fan. Handbuilt in Holland. I have the Koga World Traveller .

Isn't that the bike that mark Beaumont rode around the world on...if so, do you have the same issues that he seemed to have with wheel build quality?

I was amazed that his bike seemed to be snapping spokes on a weekly basis,mental he stopped in Romania and had a different style of wheel build, which lasted the rest of the world...I believe.

Interested to know why he had such issues?

mythste

Veteran
Broadly speaking, its a good idea to get an idea of what sort or budget you're prepared to spend and work from there with research. There are very few "bad" bikes above about £400 (in my experience).

There are some boutique brands where it might be difficult to justify the costs for some, but most manufacturers have a huge range of prices to accommodate for the difference.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Isn't that the bike that mark Beaumont rode around the world on...if so, do you have the same issues that he seemed to have with wheel build quality?

I was amazed that his bike seemed to be snapping spokes on a weekly basis,mental he stopped in Romania and had a different style of wheel build, which lasted the rest of the world...I believe.

Interested to know why he had such issues?

It was a Koga that Mark Beaumont rode but it was a touring bike he designed himself. There is a function on the Koga website where you can pick different frames, wheels, cranks etc. The problem with the spokes and wheel had something to do with the Rohloff hub and the length of spokes, I think. It is a while since I read the book.

A Danish guy, Niolai Bangsgaard, did a 4 year RTW on his World Traveller and had no problems at all with his bike. I have ridden rough mountain tracks in Italy, France and Spain on my World Traveller and it is so solid. Ive never had a problem, of any kind.

I had a big off recently where the bike bounced and cartwheeled down the road,but amazingly, the only damaged was a scuffed Brooks saddle. They really are bombproof.

I am now getting my Roadchamp ready for Lejog next year.

Top Bottom