Bike escalator in Norway - cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Sorry if duplicated

Bike escalator in Norway, is it cheating?

Escalator

Bicycling is a cheap and healthy way to get around, but a steep hill can become a casual cyclist’s Achilles’ heel. Luckily, the Norwegian city of Trondheim has a solution to this problem – a bike escalator.

Invented in the 90’s by a commuter who grew tired of showing up to work sweaty and exhausted, the Trampe lift, recently upgraded and reinvented as the CycloCable, has already carried over 200,000 bicyclists up this 150m-long cyclist deterrent. The curious escalator has become a tourist magnet as well.

Cyclists who place one foot on the escalator’s angled platform will be pushed uphill at a speed of 5mph. Up to 5 people can use it simultaneously and it is not limited to bicycles, as it can carry basically any small wheeled transport with its owner, be it a kid with scooter or a mother with a baby stroller.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Is it cheating to use the escalator if that road is covered in ice in the middle of Winter? I'm willing enough to ride up steep hills, but I'd be reluctant to try it when it's icy.

Saddest thing is that at about 1.5 million per kilometre to build, this is in fact cheaper than the reported Cycle Super Highway costs!

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
:bicycle:would do my endo stats no end of good ^_^

Top Bottom