Bike escalator in Norway - cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
I wonder what the strava PB is on it ;)

http://www.strava.com/segments/5771685

Can't believe i looked it up.

This isn't new though is it, I'm sure I remember this from few years back?

Paragraph 2 of the article:

Invented in the 90’s by a commuter who grew tired of showing up to work sweaty and exhausted, the Trampe lift, recently upgraded and reinvented as the CycloCable, has already carried over 200,000 bicyclists up this 150m-long cyclist deterrent. The curious escalator has become a tourist magnet as well.

The official site gives more details

I always worry about the use of the word "cheating"

It implies that cycling has to be a challenge, and made as difficult as possible... even masochistic

If a device like this helps people get up a hill they would not otherwise tackle then is that really a problem?

If someone extends their cycling years into their 80's by using an electric assist - is that really a problem?

If it was a race and one was using this assistance to improve one's performance then claiming a victory then maybe"cheating" would be appropriate, but in the context of utility cycling it is certainly anything but

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
The mention of cheating was a little tongue in cheek, cannot believe some people are taking such a thread that seriously

I thought it was quite an interesting topic and may create some discussion, I guess one person may see it as cheating if they had challenged themselves and another may see it as reasonable support to help them enjoy a ride out, cannot believe this would cause anyone to ....... 'worry' though !!!!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm willing enough to ride up steep hills

The video quotes the gradient as "between 10 and 18 degrees", which equates to 18-32 percent if my maths is correct. So that would be nearly 1 in 3 at its steepest. Good luck walking up that, let alone cycling up it. :smile:

The video quotes the gradient as "between 10 and 18 degrees", which equates to 18-32 percent if my maths is correct. So that would be nearly 1 in 3 at its steepest. Good luck walking up that, let alone cycling up it. :smile:
Yes!

I know that most people on this forum can scoot up such slopes - I've seen the postings - but I can't. In the Howardian Hill on LEL there was a hill marked as 18%. Most of the riders were pretty fresh, it was less than 400km into the ride. Practically no one cycled all the way up it, at least when I was there. The road was scattered with walkers, with one or two of the toughest weaving between them.

(and your maths seems right: if you click the strava segment above and hover your mouse over the graph, you'll see grades up to 31.3% at least)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
In the Howardian Hill on LEL there was a hill marked as 18%. Most of the riders were pretty fresh, it was less than 400km into the ride. Practically no one cycled all the way up it, at least when I was there. The road was scattered with walkers, with one or two of the toughest weaving between them.
They were overgeared then! 18% is fairly steep but not a killer gradient if you have sensibly low gears on your bike and use them. I am not particularly fit but I have no problem getting up 18+% climbs because I know my limitations and therefore have a bottom gear of 26/28 on my Basso and one of 28/29 on my Cannondale. (And a ridiculously low 22/32 or 22/34(?) on my MTB which would get me up almost anything remotely rideable.) Even with those low gears, I ride up the hills faster than I could walk up them pushing a bike.

Top Bottom