Bike locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex18

Hi, Im new on here and was just wondering if someone could offer me advice on bike locks.

It may seem a silly question, but i have recently had my carrera stolen, and i can't afford to keep replacing bikes.
I decided that i would replace it will another racer, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on reliable bikes locks.
Also would it be worth buying a U lock, and a chain lock to give it some extra protection.

Cheers,
Alex

rossjevans

I guess it depends on whether you need a lock to take with you on your rides or a lock which you can leave at home/work.

As I keep my lock attached to the frame of my bike I've found the Kryptonite Evolution Mini to be a nice balance between size, weight and security. It fits nicely within the frame of my bike using the supplied bracket and it's a highly rated and approved by my insurance (Evans).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
An elderly neighbour brought round something he had found in his garden wanting to know what it was... turned out to be a cheap cable lock that I could literally pull the lock open and push shut again - all without the aid of a key.

It's got to be a D-lock if you are locking your bike up out of your sight in public, and having some kind of expectation that it will still be there when you get back (probably - since a D-lock won't prevent a determined criminal).

vickster

Legendary Member
Also, try to insure the bike on your home contents insurance

Abus Granit X at around £65 seems to come highly recommended - heavy though, depends if you can leave the lock in situ, e.g. at work

But pretty much any lock is breachable for a serious thief :angry:

moralcrusader

It has been proven time and again that if a determined thief wants your bike and has the opportunity to do so, then there's no locks that will stop them. I tend to view locks as a preventative, with a hefty, gold rated Abus or Kryptonite D lock being the best preventative. It'll put off the chancers.

BSRU

A Human Being
Locks don't stop your being nicked, they just mean the tea leaf will have to spend more time and make more noise to actually take it.

The most secure method I have heard, on this forum, is buy a folder and stick it under your desk.

sabian92

Über Member
I personally use a cheapo cable lock with a combination to lock both wheels to the frame, then a D-Lock (Kryptonite Kryptolok) to lock it up. Usually round here if it can't be ridden away without much effort, they won't bother. I used to just use the cheap cable lock but I've just bought insurance and they required a bronze rated or higher lock.

hotmetal

If it's for taking with you on rides so your bike doesn't get nicked during your lunch stop, pretty much anything should make the opportunist try elsewhere. If it's for leaving your bike locked up outside the station while you get the train to work, you will need a Doberman with rabies, or 2 large (different) D locks and maybe a braided cable as well, to make sure wheels and saddle can definitely be locked too. In the garage I use a hefty Oxford motorbike lock and ground anchor. Dunno how useful visible security marking (ie Datatag) is at deterring bike thieves, but might be a useful 2nd line of defence in addition to locks. Then again, if you take this too far and have a cheap-ish bike, you could end up paying more for locks than bikes. But not if you keep having to buy new bikes though.

I was thinking maybe a sticker saying "I adhere to shariah law" might make the thieving scum think twice, but that's probably wishful thinking…

Night Train

Maker of Things
I use two locks.

The main one is an Abus Granite .Extreme. Costing over £100 and weighing about 3kg.
59HB330_350.jpg

Oxford Monster disc lock and HD chain
Oxford-chain-and-disclock-s.jpg

My chain is a bit longer and has a larger ring on one end to form a noose. I have cut a few holes in the sheath to allow me to shorten the chain locking point to keep the lock more out of reach where possible and the to have less slack in the chain.

Wardy

Before I found out that my insurance cover (M&S) didn't need a fancy lock, I went and bought an Abus Extra Level 7 150cm. It has a "drill protected locking cyclinder" whatever that is. It's a bit weighty but looks and feels a tough piece of equipment. I get the feeling though that if a thief is determined enough, no lock will stop them and even with the Abus I don't like to leave my bike unattended for very long.

Top Bottom