Bike locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I also tend not to leave my bike or trike outside unattended for long. My locks are primarily for cafe stops with the trike and I have been known to lock it when it is in the car overnight too.

Jezston

Über Member
Anyone got any opinions on those new fangled folding locks?

sabian92

Über Member
I finally got my new D-lock in the post, spent an hour fitting the bracket onto my frame - It doesn't fit! The lock is physically too big to fit inside the frame (20"), so I've got to lug it around in a bag. Not happy about that because I hate having a sweaty back, but needs must. Worst thing I've bought for my bike yet, and I've only got it because ETA insurance forces you to have a bronze or higher lock!

I finally got my new D-lock in the post, spent an hour fitting the bracket onto my frame - It doesn't fit! The lock is physically too big to fit inside the frame (20"), so I've got to lug it around in a bag. Not happy about that because I hate having a sweaty back, but needs must. Worst thing I've bought for my bike yet, and I've only got it because ETA insurance forces you to have a bronze or higher lock!

What type of D lock have you got, if its kyptonite you can rotate the mount so that the lock is outside the triangle like what I've done. Other locks probably do it too but I can only say 100% about kyrptonites.

med_gallery_700_31_239917.jpg

BSRU

A Human Being
What type of D lock have you got, if its kyptonite you can rotate the mount so that the lock is outside the triangle like what I've done. Other locks probably do it too but I can only say 100% about kyrptonites.

med_gallery_700_31_239917.jpg

Abus D locks do also.

Alan Whicker

FWIW, I have a Kryptonite Series 2 (the grey one). Seems a decent balance between weight and strength. My example is marked as Sold Secure Bronze, while Mrs Whicker's example is marked as Sold Secure Gold, for some reason
wacko.gif
. I don't leave my bikes unattended much, though.

Bicycle

I buy only £10 to £15 cheapo locks.

In the sticks, I don't suppose my bike is ever out of sight for very long and I've never given theft much thought.

In London I don't ride anything fancy. If my lock won't fit round both wheels, I drop the front out and stack it next to the rear.

When not in London I rarely lock my fixed-gear bike at all. I just don't think anyone would bother to pinch it - and I'd pay to watch it on video if they did.... I lock other bikes, but just can't see anyone bothering with fixed.

In the Eighties, the safest place to park a car was next to a Cosworth Sierra. Whatever you drove, they'd take the Cossie before they touched yours.

In the same vein, always lock your bike up next to something carbon and sexy. That won't deal with the Transit-drivers who steal in bulk, but it's one extra counter-measure.

Anyone got any opinions on those new fangled folding locks?

I had a look at these a while back as something suitable to mount on my Brompton (saw a few of them in Europe).
Seems there are two - both Abus Bordo IIRC, but one is much better rated than the other.

What put me off was the comment in one review I read that while the lock stayed locked in their attempt to break into it (this was a comparision of all sorts of locks, where the review attempted to break them); the lock itself was busted after. Now at £100 a pop I'd be a bit annoyed if I had to keep buying a new one....

Top Bottom