England : Greater Manchester Blackpool and Back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
A666 not good, use the B roads that run parallel.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Personally I think it's pretty bad, but then you chose the east lancs rd..:smile:. Check out the good companions audax, that may help you avoid the main rds.

The a666 is one of the most dangerous rds in Britain, if i remember correctly. It has signs all the way along informing just how many accidents and fatalities there's been.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Personally I think it's pretty bad, but then you chose the east lancs rd..:smile:. Check out the good companions audax, that may help you avoid the main rds.

The a666 is one of the most dangerous rds in Britain, if i remember correctly. It has signs all the way along informing just how many accidents and fatalities there's been.
Well...yes...but the East Lancs was to be ridden early on a Saturday in a group of cyclists. It wasn't that busy but certainly not the most pleasant road i'll grant you :whistle:

Do you have a link for the good companions audax?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Well...yes...but the East Lancs was to be ridden early on a Saturday in a group of cyclists. It wasn't that busy but certainly not the most pleasant road i'll grant you :whistle:

Do you have a link for the good companions audax?
Not pleasant!!!! :Shock: I've never ever been so scared on my bike ever ever ever ever.....I did not enjoy being lantern rouge at all, in the fog at dawn.

The m65 is less busy and has less lanes....:smile:

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Not pleasant!!!! :Shock: I've never ever been so scared on my bike ever ever ever ever.....I did not enjoy being lantern rouge at all, in the fog at dawn.

The m65 is less busy and has less lanes....:smile:
It wasn't that foggy!

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Hope weather holds out for this one. Did the night ride Manchester to Southport and back couples months ago and no problems coming back on the East Lancs road.
Hi Sammy.

Nice to see you on CycleChat.

Glad you didn't have any issues with the East Lancs. I suppose you were in a larger group and on it at slightly earlier time. I appreciate it is not a nice cycling road but at that time of day on the last 30 miles of a century ride I thought it would be a fast way home. Needless to say I will be avoiding all such roads where possible on future routes (and checking for bridge closures, etc!). I've not finalized the routing for the Blackpool ride yet so any comments/suggestions get them in now.

Hope the weather is OK for it. It's really not a ride I want to do on a cold and wet day.

Top Bottom