Blocking of cycle lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
This really gets on my nerves.
Today I was going to the supermarket and I go past a row of shops which has a narrow road in front and then a cycle lane. Theres lots of no parking in the cycle lane signs high on poles and cars still park all over it in order to go to the shops etc.
I was on it and in front of me was a big wagon and I said to him "do you know its the cycle lane" to which he replied yes then went in to the chemist with its deliveries. I reported him. On the way back there was a big 4x4 blocking the cycle lane so I had to squeeze past it and then I needed to examine my fingernails for a long time right in front of it. So the driver had to reverse out instead of driving forward. This was met by a range of expletives from a woman passenger who then also started waving a finger about, whatever that means...
Another road nearby had a massive wagon dropping off building stuff.The wagon went down the drive, over the footpath, into the cycle lane and into the road. Two people with babies in prams couldnt get past without going into a dual carriage way which was very busy. One lady was reporting the driver to the Police.
Its like this all the time round here, people are just totally pig ignorant and selfish.

PK99

Legendary Member
Today I was going to the supermarket and I go past a row of shops which has a narrow road in front and then a cycle lane. Theres lots of no parking in the cycle lane signs high on poles and cars still park all over it in order to go to the shops etc.
I was on it and in front of me was a big wagon and I said to him "do you know its the cycle lane" to which he replied yes then went in to the chemist with its deliveries. I reported him. On the way back there was a big 4x4 blocking the cycle lane so I had to squeeze past it and then I needed to examine my fingernails for a long time right in front of it. So the driver had to reverse out instead of driving forward. This was met by a range of expletives from a woman passenger who then also started waving a finger about, whatever that means...
Another road nearby had a massive wagon dropping off building stuff.The wagon went down the drive, over the footpath, into the cycle lane and into the road. Two people with babies in prams couldnt get past without going into a dual carriage way which was very busy. One lady was reporting the driver to the Police.
Its like this all the time round here, people are just totally pig ignorant and selfish.

Just like the cyclists who leave Lime Hire Bikes blocking pavements.

PK99

Legendary Member
What are they? We dont have anything like that blocking pavements here.

Lime bikes are For-Hire e-bikes with no docking station or home base. Find one using the App. Log in and ride away. Get to destination chose the most inconvenient and obstructive location possible, log off and walk away leaving the 40kg+ bike blocking the pavement.

Simples.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We have bus lanes on the A6 south of Levenshulme towards Stockport which I use most days. It's pretty good as it keeps the car drivers out of your way. About a mile length has a mandatory cycle lane, no bus lane. The bloody bus drivers use it to pass the standing traffic - it's not a bus lane. I need to see what GM buses think about that.

Slick

Guru

Yeah, I see it here all the time. I have often thought about complaining, especially as a number of culprits abandon liveried commercial vehicles. Then I remember that I have far too many more important things to deal with, so I just get on with my day. I reckon you would just leave yourself ill challenging every useless to55er out there.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Are the cycle lanes marked with dashed lines? If so, they are unenforceable and useless.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
my personal bug bear are artics parking right on the shared cycle path/footpath in lay-byes overnight forcing into the dual carriageway into oncoming traffic .
Its nice to get level with the cab bang on the door a few times and pedal off , as im going the opposite way to the traffic flow even assuming they could be bothered to start up and try to follow they have a good 3-4 miles before they can turn around and give chase so i feel safe enough venting my spleen .

According to the hysteria sheets the latest tactic to avoid the JSO lot is to drive up on the footway to get round them. Nice. Wherever cars are not supposed to be you'll find a car.

That's the trouble: the sense of entitlement is so strong that unless it's made impossible, a motorist wil put their car wherever they feel they have a right to put it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Unfortunately permitted if not a solid white line. Although I saw a cockwomble driving up one with a solid white line earlier for no reason on a clear road

Two way cycle lane on the pavement, I'm not cycling much at the moment and I haven't been up that way on the bike since it was built.

Top Bottom