Blocking of cycle lanes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Yeah, I see it here all the time. I have often thought about complaining, especially as a number of culprits abandon liveried commercial vehicles. Then I remember that I have far too many more important things to deal with, so I just get on with my day. I reckon you would just leave yourself ill challenging every useless to55er out there.
Must admit the other day there was a liveried van parked facing the wrong way on an A road, straddling double yellows, with 2 wheels on the pavement up against the wall, I'm sure he had to get out of the passenger side it was so close you could not have out against the wall or walk passed it. Everybody would have had to go into the road to get past it.

I did wonder whose responsibility it would have been, County council for blocking a footpath & double yellows or Police for blocking footpath, either way I'm sure he would have moved by the time either had got there the next day.

Slick

Guru
Must admit the other day there was a liveried van parked facing the wrong way on an A road, straddling double yellows, with 2 wheels on the pavement up against the wall, I'm sure he had to get out of the passenger side it was so close you could not have out against the wall or walk passed it. Everybody would have had to go into the road to get past it.

I did wonder whose responsibility it would have been, County council for blocking a footpath & double yellows or Police for blocking footpath, either way I'm sure he would have moved by the time either had got there the next day.

I'm not even sure you would get a response from anyone either way.

It doesn't make it right, but I think people get themselves worked up about something that they can never change. The old Irish parable comes to mind.

newts

Veteran
Setting an example to us all.
This was early on a Saturday morning, carpark in front of the building on the opposite side of the road with >200 spaces was empty. The car was still there 2 hours later.
20161119_092454.jpg

20161119_104731 (2)(2).jpg

newts

Veteran
Obviously an emergency worker can park wherever when dealing with an incident.

There's no double yellows the opposite side of the road (from where they approached), only a cycle lane. It wasn't an incident in the adjacent leisure centre, to which they were also parked across the entrance.

Slick

Guru
There's no double yellows the opposite side of the road (from where they approached), only a cycle lane. It wasn't an incident in the adjacent leisure centre, to which they were also parked across the entrance.

Obviously we don't know the details, but I still think emergency workers can park where they see fit when working.

Drago

Legendary Member
They have the legal power to do so if it can be operationally justified. If they were responding to an emergency that would be a proper use of their exemption. If it wasn't then theyre chumps. Personally I'd have parked on the road at the white line rather than over the bit intended for vulnerable road users.

i knew one lad, a fellow skipper, who got in a spot of bother with that. He got photographed in a bus stop on a double yellow while he bought a kebab ine evening, and the picture went round Facebook in minutes. He was offered the choice of a formal investigation, which would likely end in a written warning, or a £250 donation to the supernintendos favourite charity and an informal entry in the discipline book. He took the latter. As an aside the guy is CHIMP and should never have been put in a supervisory role and managed to get himself sacked not long after I retired, which cheered my up no end as we never got on.

newts

Veteran
They have the legal power to do so if it can be operationally justified. If they were responding to an emergency that would be a proper use of their exemption. If it wasn't then theyre chumps. Personally I'd have parked on the road at the white line rather than over the bit intended for vulnerable road users.
At the time i cycled through the area when both vehicles were parked, there was noone around. As you say 'proper use of their exemption' is questionable given the adjacent options of wider road 5-6 metres back towards arches
1689961726826.png

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If no one is going to stop cars parking in the cycle lane then whats the point of having them in the first place? You get shouted at when on the road to get in the f...ing cycle lane. Then when your in it your faced with this, mobility vehicles,pedestrians and loads of litter etc.
I prefer riding my MTB on Bridleways but you can have issues then with walkers who think they own every pathway going. Millions have been spent on cycle lanes as well.

Top Bottom