Boardman adv 8.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sambo241

Regular
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice if there is any regarding the Boardman 8.9 gravel bike? I had my rear wheel repaired at halfords (brave I know) and when I went in to collect it, had a nosy at Boardman adv 8.9 on show.

I currently ride a Boardman Hyb 8.6 for my work commute and apart from the recent repair, its been a fantastic entry into commuting. The £1200 mark for the adv 8.9 is around what I'd be happy to pay as it'll mainly be used for commuting. From reading up on reviews it seems good quality for a good price?

I commute 22 miles a day (11 there, 11 back) and I think the opportunity to be able to switch up hand positions with the drop bars would be a nice option to to have. I think it would also be more suitable to the route I like to use. The route involves about a mile of road and the rest is canal towpath and branch line with a few hills here and there. The Hyb has served me well and I will keep it, but I've been thinking more and more about moving on to a gravel bike. Seeing the adv 8.9 on show has fueled the fire even more.

If anyone has any experience or views on this bike it would be greatly appreciated. Along with any other suggestions around that price range.

Thank you!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Please let me know if you do buy a second bike from Halfords. That's something of a rarity in my experience,

Personally, I would shop around, now that you have more experience in what you want.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice if there is any regarding the Boardman 8.9 gravel bike? I had my rear wheel repaired at halfords (brave I know) and when I went in to collect it, had a nosy at Boardman adv 8.9 on show.

I currently ride a Boardman Hyb 8.6 for my work commute and apart from the recent repair, its been a fantastic entry into commuting. The £1200 mark for the adv 8.9 is around what I'd be happy to pay as it'll mainly be used for commuting. From reading up on reviews it seems good quality for a good price?

I commute 22 miles a day (11 there, 11 back) and I think the opportunity to be able to switch up hand positions with the drop bars would be a nice option to to have. I think it would also be more suitable to the route I like to use. The route involves about a mile of road and the rest is canal towpath and branch line with a few hills here and there. The Hyb has served me well and I will keep it, but I've been thinking more and more about moving on to a gravel bike. Seeing the adv 8.9 on show has fueled the fire even more.

If anyone has any experience or views on this bike it would be greatly appreciated. Along with any other suggestions around that price range.

Thank you!

If not already a member and a regular commuter, I would join an organisation like British cycling for the legal and third party cover. Bonus, the 8% off at Halfords (assuming not using C2W) will more than cover the £44 Ride membership.

I am sure this bike has been discussed plenty before, so perhaps use the search function :smile:

https://www.cyclechat.net/search/25...t&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=39&o=relevance

Jameshow

Veteran
Good bikes, frames will be made in the same factory as many other brands, groupset same, wheels will be formula hubs and unbranded rims. You can pay for more expensive brands if you like. Halfords mechanics depend on the store tbh.

OP
OP
S

sambo241

Regular
I think I've confused readers with what the physical purchase of the bike would be. It wouldn't be a ex display bike it would be the brand new version. The bike I saw was built for promotional purchases not a sell off. I do apologise for the poor wording. Reading it back now I can see I may have given off the wrong idea.

I am sure this bike has been discussed plenty before, so perhaps use the search function :smile:

I did use the search function and came across a couple of informative results but as you will know, it also chucks up any word with the affiliation Boardman so get mixed results. I was also hoping for some thoughts on the bikes upgraded GRX 400 groupset too that I think has only been implemented in the last year or two.

vickster

Legendary Member
The frameset is likely unchanged (except perhaps colour).
I’m a SRAM girl so no comment on Shimano GRX (midrange one?)

Jameshow

Veteran
I think I've confused readers with what the physical purchase of the bike would be. It wouldn't be a ex display bike it would be the brand new version. The bike I saw was built for promotional purchases not a sell off. I do apologise for the poor wording. Reading it back now I can see I may have given off the wrong idea.

I did use the search function and came across a couple of informative results but as you will know, it also chucks up any word with the affiliation Boardman so get mixed results. I was also hoping for some thoughts on the bikes upgraded GRX 400 groupset too that I think has only been implemented in the last year or two.

I think it's tiagra level tbh good stuff...not basic at all.

600 - 105

800 - ultegra level

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/components/groupsets/shimano-grx-review/

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's the entry level GRX, 10 speed, but not crap

yes but there is no sora, claris etc equivalent for GRX range, GRX 400 is Tiagra for gravel bikes.

its a decent bike, decent spec good value. It even comes with pretty good tyres non some cheap OEM stuff.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got a Giant Contend AR3 on a frame replacement warranty claim but the Boardman was on my list to look out for before that happened. They seem to be well specced for the price.

I'm happy with my broadman adv 8.6 and the 8.9 is an upgrade, the original tires g ones are very good on road or dry off road stuff. Search my posts for a continuing report on my bike

Please let me know if you do buy a second bike from Halfords. That's something of a rarity in my experience,

Personally, I would shop around, now that you have more experience in what you want.
I made that mistake, the Boardman comp was a fantastic bike so I thought I’d try the Carrera vanquish and the manufacturing tolerances were awful on the carbon fork coupled with the very poor after sales service, don’t think I’ll buy another one from them.

Person

My negative experience with owning a boardman bike is that the paint work is extremely easy to chip and the cheap components will need upgrading within a year.
My positive experience is that for commuting a boardman bike is great.
Commuting takes it's toll on a bike so don't expect to be using the same boardman bike for ten years unless you're willing to spend £1000's on parts.

vickster

Legendary Member
My negative experience with owning a boardman bike is that the paint work is extremely easy to chip and the cheap components will need upgrading within a year.
My positive experience is that for commuting a boardman bike is great.
Commuting takes it's toll on a bike so don't expect to be using the same boardman bike for ten years unless you're willing to spend £1000's on parts.

Same goes for pretty much any bike used for all-weather commuting however (single speed/fixed the best option if wanting to avoid paying for drivetrain consumables)

Top Bottom