Boardman CX Team 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I've got the opportunity to buy a seemingly little used example of the above bike, I've mentioned I could do with a bad weather commuter.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/cyclo-cross-bikes/boardman-cx-team-first-ride

The price is almost a no brainer, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced them, anything I should look out for other than inspecting the fork in particular and the frame?

I can service and repair most things and have pretty much all consumables in stock including tyres, luggage mounting system I use and probably suitable mudguards. The bike is stock, so any gotchas on the stock spec?

I don't have time for a project so hopefully this is as good as it looks in the pictures.

Cheers

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They are good bikes and were on my shortlist for a used bike in the last year - i.e. they were my No1 choice as I already have a Boardman FS Pro MTB which is ace. They still fetch quite high prices, so if you find a bargain go for it. Wheel bearings will be cartridge, so cheap to fix.

I didn't get one in the end as a bargain of a Colnago World Cup CX bike appeared on ebay only 40 miles from me, so I got that.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
They are good bikes and were on my shortlist for a used bike in the last year - i.e. they were my No1 choice as I already have a Boardman FS Pro MTB which is ace. They still fetch quite high prices, so if you find a bargain go for it. Wheel bearings will be cartridge, so cheap to fix.

I didn't get one in the end as a bargain of a Colnago World Cup CX bike appeared on ebay only 40 miles from me, so I got that.

I would love a Colnago ♣️

Looking about £150 for this boardman

fossyant

I would love a Colnago ♣️

Looking about £150 for this boardman
Bargain at £150. Depends on how much use it's had but factor in cables, pads and new bar tape (definitely new bar tape as it can get iccy).

I ended up with this. Cantilever brakes suited spare wheels I had so have road and gravel wheels. Dirty road mode with clip on guards.
20240101_144146.jpg

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Bargain at £150. Depends on how much use it's had but factor in cables, pads and new bar tape (definitely new bar tape as it can get iccy).

I ended up with this. Cantilever brakes suited spare wheels I had so have road and gravel wheels. Dirty road mode with clip on guards.
View attachment 718458
That's lovely. I'm fully stocked up in cables just need to sort new pads. Certainly will do bar tape, I am quite fussy one what I like. Plus I'll want to remove the cross brake leavers on the tops.

Good price if a tidy example.
Pictures suggest it's very tidy, but we will see in the flesh.

fossyant

You can't go far wrong if it's in good condition - just check wheel bearings, headset feels smooth, look at chain rings. I've had two very good buys second hand - one was a great BMC XC MTB which I got from a mate - was for MrsF as it was a XS size - really way too small for me and I'm only 5'9". The Colnago was £330, with pictured wheels. I put new bearings in the rear wheel and freehub, new cables, pads, some new stainless bolts, gravel tyres and new bar tape. I already had spare wheels.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had the Boardman for a few years. Quite heavy, esp the wheels and the Avid BB5 brakes were awful so replaced with TRP Spyres (replaced the wheels too, not long before I sold during Covid).
Was a decent commuter with SKS guards and a rack, got shot of the knobblies and fitted 32mm Duranos. They hold their value pretty well

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I had the Boardman for a few years. Quite heavy, esp the wheels and the Avid BB5 brakes were awful so replaced with TRP Spyres (replaced the wheels too, not long before I sold during Covid).
Was a decent commuter with SKS guards and a rack, got shot of the knobblies and fitted 32mm Duranos. They hold their value pretty well
Weight is not a great concern. My Super Galaxy is no lightweight especially once I have loaded it up with my commuting gear and me 😊

Interesting about the brakes, I'll do some research on costs.

I have a few different tyre options on the "spares"

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Went to see the bike tonight on the way there the seller messaged and they where horrified to realised the bike had a puncture, I could tell from the selling pictures it probably did as the front was flat, so they wanted to knock £20 off.

Quick once over revealed it in as good a condition as the pictures claimed, so into the car it went.

It has the world's shortest stem on it, I used to ride with a 70mm but this is 60mm, I'll probably change that sharpish, replace the cable inners and outers, replace the pads, removed the cross levers, replace the bar tape and stick a proper saddle on it.

But none of that should stop me being able to ride it to the local office tomorrow.

IMG_20240111_203008.jpg

Top Bottom