Boiled linseed oil.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you know about it? I bought some to wipe on a furniture I am making and it says on the bottle that any rags which have this oil on them might spontaneously combust. wtf happens? Chemical reaction I know but..

I didn't leave the rag in the shed.

Will it work on my chain.?

No idea...I use it on my djembe and keep having panic attacks about the rags going up in flames - so far, no sign of a blaze fortunately...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Oiled rags do have a risk of spontaneous combustion.
They can be left unfolded to dry in a well ventillated area or better still leave it in its balled up wad and put in a closed jam jar for reuse later.

It is a problem we are taught about in college. The oil oxidises and this creates heat. The ball of rags traps the heat and some air and this allows the rag to catch light. Keeping it a sealed jar prevents an air supply to support combustion. Also some finishes used in wood finishes have chemicals that react as a catalist for, say, fast drying or to create a deep shine and this can be even more of a fire risk.

colly

Re member eR
Something to do with auto-oxidation.

A pile of rags containing residues of oil might begin to oxidise and because the rags effectively insulate and contain the heat generated, the oil in the rags can reach ignition temperature.

Then if the rags are in your house or shed.............you are up sh*t creek.

Generations of cricketers used linseed oil on their bats but I don't remember tales of self immolating kit bags or pavillions.

H&S.

Maz

Guru
mickle said:
What do you know about it? I bought some to wipe on a furniture I am making and it says on the bottle that any rags which have this oil on them might spontaneously combust. wtf happens? Chemical reaction I know but..

I didn't leave the rag in the shed.

Will it work on my chain.?
Even worse. Not only spontaneously combust, it could set off a chain reaction.

Maz

Guru
John Ponting said:
Generations of cricketers used linseed oil on their bats but I don't remember tales of self immolating kit bags or pavillions.

H&S.
Really? How do you think we got The Ashes?

Somebody stop mehhhhhhh!

Somebody stop you Maz...
...howzat?

Interestingly, I was watching a cricket match years ago when the batsman got hit on the pocket with the ball (of course.)
Next thing his trousers were alight - he had a box of Swan Vestas in there and they combusted. (For those young things amongst us, these were red headed matches that you could stamp on to ignite - not health and safety matches like wot we get today...)

Maz

Guru
Aperitif said:
Interestingly, I was watching a cricket match years ago when the batsman got hit on the pocket with the ball (of course.)
Next thing his trousers were alight - he had a box of Swan Vestas in there and they combusted. (For those young things amongst us, these were red headed matches that you could stamp on to ignite - not health and safety matches like wot we get today...)
You just made that up, Aperitif! Liar liar yer pants are on fire! :sad:

Top Bottom