Bonkers weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

Yesterday I was looking at the five-day forecast and was really surprised to see a snow icon for Wednesday for Solihull.

Maz

Guru
We caught the tail-end of the hail here as well in South Leicestershire. Heard it bashing against the windows!

Mr Phoebus

Sittingduck said:
Brings back memories of sledging up Elmdon Park (back when snow WAS snow) 82-85 :rolleyes:
I know the very hill you're referring to. It's a bloody good un for sledging.

Elmdon Park is where the dog "killed" my Viking fixie.

Graham O

On a related subject, what is the difference between sleet and hail? I've always taken hail to be from a hailstorm, while sleet is rain which hasn't thawed as it falls. Any other ideas or definitions?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear that Phoebus :rolleyes:
I killed or seriously injured a few bikes myself throughout the years there. At least 4 of them cycling through the brook... Ahh fond memories!

Danny

Legendary Member
Looks like my mini tour round the N.Yorkshire moors later this week could be a bit on the chilly side.

I better dig out my thermals.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Was walking the dog yesterday afternoon (to take my mind off brake blocks) and got caught out in the woods in a very sudden, rather violent and (thankfully) vey quick hailstorm... the poor dog was getting bashed on the bonce so much she made a beeline for the trees (clever little thing) ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
For hail, the dew point level is at a lower altitude than the freezing level. So water droplets form but have to be carried back up to freeze. They therefore occur in summer thunderstorms and other events that have a violent vertical air movement. Sometimes they go up and down between the dew point level and the freezing level building up successive layers of ice and gaining in size till they are too heavy to be carried back up. Hence the biggest hailstones are formed in massive tropical heat fuelled thunder clouds.

Snow forms when the dew point level is above the freezing level, so that moisture condenses as ice crystals (snow).

Top Bottom