Bootsale bargains..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Car boots are like Marmite....
I love em. Of course 90 % of its tat, but its the odd bargain that makes it all worthwhile, as well as a walk on a nice summers Sunday morning, Black Pudding and Egg roll and a cup of tea.
Last year i got a box full of new and second hand cycling bits. Offered the guy a fiver for the lot...yeah, ok he said.
I couldnt stop laughing all the way back to the car. Contained within were...

Pair of Sora STI shifters, almost new (actually the R.H turned out to miss when shifting down in one paticular gear...no problem on my hack)

About six 6 and 7 speed freewheels. Sold each one for about a fiver on ebay.

Nearly new Cateye rear light, cost about £16 new.

Pair of new Cateye 10W halogen lamps, no battery or charger, but with the leads, brackets and switch.

Set of cheap oversize handlebars and stem.

2 brand new innertubes.

One pair of cycle lights. Used but goodish quaity, still got them on an old bike.

LED clip on front light.

So many other bits i cant remember.

It worked out each item cost about 30p at the most.
30p for a fully functioning L/H Sora STI :wacko:
30p for a sllightly defective but functioning R/H Sora STI :sad:
30p for a £16 Cateye LED rear light...need i go on. :eek:
The guy obviously didnt know what he'd got...he was just happy to get a fiver :biggrin:

Another day i got a brand new pair of 700 x 35 Kevlar Bikehut tyres for £5.

Another noteable was a set of brand new set of Topeak highlite combo LED lights..retail about £20....i paid £3. I had another bargain from the same booter, cant remember what it was.

They are rare finds, but they make your day, especially when a mornings car booting is a nice way of spending a Sunday morning anyway.

Bigtallfatbloke

I went on sunday morning looking for bike bits...waste of time...nothing but chavs,wvm and crooks...oh and fag ash lils. There was one old raliegh racer...seemed ok but it was rusty and needed a lot of work...I would have had the stem and bars...the knob in the van wanted £40 I offered £20 he grunted and stubed his fag out on his dash board ...I moved on.
The experience will haunt me forever...so many low life tossers, no I know why I come so close to death each sunday midday on my ride past the place at kicking out time.

Also the main language of the buyers was eastern european, I suspect Polish. Chavs selling crap to Pols...I felt sorry for the Pols.

Tharg2007

Veteran
gbb said:
It worked out each item cost about 30p at the most.
30p for a fully functioning L/H Sora STI :wacko:
30p for a sllightly defective but functioning R/H Sora STI :sad:
30p for a £16 Cateye LED rear light...need i go on. :eek:
The guy obviously didnt know what he'd got...he was just happy to get a fiver :biggrin:

i think you need to work on your maths :biggrin: :biggrin:

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Tharg2007 said:
i think you need to work on your maths :wacko: :sad:

I know :biggrin:. I was thinking it worked out to about 50p each, but there were so many odds and sods as well, i cant remember it all.
30p each seems somewhere near. :eek:

Mr Phoebus

I did a 'car boot' once. I pulled up in my Mini Cooper and I hadn't even managed
to get the first thing out of the car when I was quickly surrounded by other
'booters' they were like ravenous vultures.

"How much d'ya want for this/that?"

I sold most of my stuff to other 'booters' before the 'car boot' sale had even started.
They just wanted stuff to sell on at a profit.
No skin off my nose, as I got exactly what I wanted for my stuff.

Frikkin' scavs though, like some 'post-apocalyptic' scenario.

That puts me off - I have this idea that there are a whole set of 'professional' car booters, who make a very tidy income out of this (and pay no tax or NI, and draw the dole or incapacity benefit, but that might just be my predjudice...)

I'd turn up with a load of my stuff, with no idea what anything was worth, they'd buy all the decent stuff off me and leave me with all the stuff which won't sell.
I'd then be stuck on my stall with no-one buying anything from me, watching them re-sell my stuff at much higher prices.

Yeah, yeah, I know this is the way business works, it's how Richard Branson & Alan Sugar started, etc but it wouldn't feel nice...

Top Bottom