England : North Yorkshire Brass Monkeys - York - Saturday 14th December 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
One possibility for a shorter route may be stopping in Knaresborough and getting the train back to York. You don't have to book bike spaces.

Good call - also works for anyone heading back to Leeds.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Good thought from Julia.

For health reasons I wont bore you with, 100km might be a stretch for me at the moment.

Jumping on the train at Knaresborough would make a difference.

colly

Re member eR
Just an update @Slioch.

My wifes sister passed away last week and we are waiting for details of the funeral. It will be down in Kent so with travelling and visiting it will be at least two days away. It may clash with this ride. I hope not. There may be a post mortem so the date could be anytime from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

I'll update you as and when I know.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Just an update @Slioch.

My wifes sister passed away last week and we are waiting for details of the funeral. It will be down in Kent so with travelling and visiting it will be at least two days away. It may clash with this ride. I hope not. There may be a post mortem so the date could be anytime from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

So sorry to hear this @colly - my thoughts are with you.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Just an update @Slioch.

Sorry to hear that @colly.

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Apologies for not attending to this thread earlier - I've been far too busy drinking my body-weight in ale at various pre-Xmas events including the annual Santa-dash over in Saddleworth this weekend:cheers:. I think I'm sober enough now though to start to attend to the important things in life. Thanks to @Buck for the timely reminder and kick up the pants :okay:.

The plan remains as earlier in the thread. Meet at York station at 9am. Full route is 62 miles, but there's a bail-out option for people after 40 miles at Knaresborough if the weather is seriously pants on the day. The long-range forecast for Saturday isn't looking too scary though at present, with temperatures above zero and mainly dry, although it could be a bit blowy.

I suggest we meet outside the gentlemen's toilets which are in between platforms 2 and 4 near the short stay car park at the north end of the station. Two reasons for this 1) there is a bit more room up that way so we won't be cluttering up the platform, and 2) from there we can directly access the riverside cycle path we will be using via the funky new cycle route they installed a few months ago. Here's a link to a map of the station.

@EasyPeez, if you're still coming we'll swing into the Rawcliffe Bar Park and Ride at 0920 ish to pick you up (and anyone else who wants to come by car and park for free all day). Watch out for the low barriers at the entrance though.

I'll pm everyone my mobile number in case of delays, last minute emergencies etc.

If you could indicate your intentions to ride on here it would be much appreciated, so we wont have to hang about too much.
Look forward to seeing you all on Saturday:bicycle:.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
I’ll be there on Saturday unless the weather is so bad that nobody is riding !

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm going to have to cry off I'm afraid.
I've managed to do "something" to my foot, and I'm currently struggling to put any pressure on it at all. Cycling any distance is not happening at the moment.

Enjoy the ride all.

Buck

Guru
I'm going to have to cry off I'm afraid.
I've managed to do "something" to my foot, and I'm currently struggling to put any pressure on it at all. Cycling any distance is not happening at the moment.

Enjoy the ride all.

That’s a shame Paul. Hope the foot is on the mend.

Buck

Guru
I’m hoping the forecast improves at home otherwise I’ll not get there!

OP
OP
Slioch

Slioch

Guru
Mmmm. I've been keeping a close eye on the weather too over the last couple of days. Here's the latest from the Met Office for York.

1576182516385.png

The precipitation isn't too bad, maybe the odd shower in the afternoon, but the wind could be a bit frisky, and it's a long-ish ride at 60 miles.

What are people's thoughts? I'd be happy to do the ride and batter through it, I'm a bit weird that way, but these rides are supposed to be enjoyable rather than a macho-fest!

Options are a) do the ride as planned and gird your loins up appropriately, or b) push it back to mid/end of January?

Thoughts?

@Buck
@Julia9054
@Almartino
@colly
@EasyPeez

Top Bottom