Brooks ... worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3782090, member: 45"]

....and I can never find my cross-peen hammer when I need it.[/QUOTE]

It's not my fault if you are careless with your tools and don't take care of them and put them back in the right place when you're finished using them :whistle:

rualexander

Legendary Member
I've had two Brooks and with both the main issue was a creaking noise that just drove me nuts and that I just couldn't make go away. I then switched to Spa saddles (Aires I think mine are) and they've been perfect. The older one completed LEL without issue and is still going strong. The other is just over a year old and not a sound out of it.

My Spa Nidd creaks a fair bit sometimes

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I use a Brooks B17 standard. Longest ride on it so far was 185 miles with no complaints at all from the rear end.
Every other saddle I have tried has my arse complaining after about 80 miles ,
Maintenance is minimal. I rub a bit of proofhide in about once or twice a year.
Maybe I am lucky but mine doesn't make any noise at all.
Steven Abraham is doing the one year time trial on a Brooks doing over 200 miles per day .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A long while ago I had a Brooks Professional saddle and during one very long and very wet ride (and no, I didn't have mudguards) the *loody thing literally sank in the middle.:evil:

Chucked it in the dustbin and replaced it with a very early version of the Selle Turbomatic which was sink-proof. :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The higher Brooks models (read expensive) come with their own silkscreened shower caps but they are a bit posh for locking up in town so I use a plaggy bag.
As for sagging when wet, they will but if you wrap a luggage strap (or a wide cable tie) around them to keep the shape they'll shrink back as they dry.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The higher Brooks models (read expensive) come with their own silkscreened shower caps but they are a bit posh for locking up in town so I use a plaggy bag.
As for sagging when wet, they will but if you wrap a luggage strap (or a wide cable tie) around them to keep the shape they'll shrink back as they dry.

Crikey - I thought it was the 21st century. :rolleyes:

simongt

Guru
I have debated the issue of getting a B17 myself, although the current saddle on my daily used tourer, one I took off a Giant Halfway about ten years ago is still in fine fettle. I did have a Brooks B5N when I 'were lad', but sadly one of my sons ruined it when he left the bike it was on out in the rain once too often. That is really the only problem with a Brooks saddle; they have to be kept dry and maintained - treated periodically and occasionally stretched as required. Pretty much all synthetic saddles nowadays are 'fit and forget'.

spiderman2

Über Member
I love the B17s I have on a couple of my bikes. Tremendously comfy.

Others will tell you otherwise.

The good thing about a Brooks is that you can buy it and if you don't find it to your taste, sell it on with no particular loss.
If you buy a specialized saddle and it aint comfy return within 30 days and replace for something else.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
[QUOTE 3782216, member: 45"]We have an outside toilet with squares of newspaper on string hanging off the back of the door.

It's comfortable though.[/QUOTE]

In that case apply a liberal coating of powdered glass to the loo seat, and remember to replace the newspaper with shredded five pound notes..... That way you too can have the genuine Brooks experience.

Herbie

Veteran
using real leather for a bike saddle is just crazy - what is the point of a saddle that isn't allowed to get wet? I can see that in the old days it might have been the best that was available but these days it's just stupid!
Brooks saddles are crazy heavy too - I'm not a fan

I love my B17 just put a plastic bag over it....I put a couple of those plastic shoe covers over mine...anyway your saddle doesn't get wet if your bum is on it ....oh...and a company still going since 18 oatcake must be doing something right each to their own though

Profpointy

Legendary Member
using real leather for a bike saddle is just crazy - what is the point of a saddle that isn't allowed to get wet? I can see that in the old days it might have been the best that was available but these days it's just stupid!
Brooks saddles are crazy heavy too - I'm not a fan

using real leather for shoes is plain crazy.....
......well, you get the point

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've made the comparison before between a Carradice saddlebag and owning a pet.

Basically German products do what you want. They are well made and efficient. My Ortleib panniers, SON hub, Rohloff Hub, B&M lights are all class leaders.

My Brooks saddle requires tweaking and proofing, it doesn't work out of the box, it needs love and care (but will reward you, just like a Labrador Puppy).

Carradice Saddlebags sort of work out of the box but can be improved by spending more money on wire support racks or maybe a short length of broom handle wedged between bag and seat-post.

The german designers must look with on with dispair at how Brooks and Carradice get away with it.

Imagine buying a SON Dynamo that could be improved with the addition of a bit of broom handle.

Now I must go and put a saucer of milk out for my Carradice Barley.
(https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=22961.0)

I use a Brooks on my tourer, and a Fizik Aliante (purchased before all that "Spine Concept" nonsense, it was the cheap saddle in the range) on the SCR2.

Both are very good, although the Brooks (formerly belonging to Crackle, of this parish) is better for longer, more sedate rides. I think the caveats less temperate posters have raised re: Brooks are worth noting, but if they do suit you, they tend to suit you very well, and their quirks can be overcome. If you don't get on with one, you can, at least, move it on for very little loss as long as you've looked after it.

SamoDamo

Bought my first Brooks a couple of weeks ago for my Genesis Equilibrium 20 (which I also love). Comfortable from the off, and getting better. I've done about 400 miles on it and I am amazed by the experience - I always started cheek shifting at the end of a decent ride, but not with the B17. £52 on Amazon. Best buy. Just thought I'd share.

Top Bottom