BSO upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
So I agree that you can't polish a turd, but maybe a glittery turd is something I can ride...my questions remain!

1. Are component upgrades less expensive than buying a whole bike?

2. Am I going to be able to upgrade a BSO (Trax tfs.1), or are they proprietary builds?

3 are cranks, twist handles and wheels already >£400?

No, significantly modifying a low end bike to upgrade it (or even building a bike from scratch) will generally be more expensive than buying a new bike as you don't have the economies of scale the big manufacturers do.

Certain parts of your bike may be proprietary, or just hard to upgrade. I'm mostly thinking front and rear suspension. The fork will be 1 inch threaded. I'm not aware of any manufacturer who produces a decent 1 inch threaded suspension fork. I suspect (but am not completely sure) that the rear shock will have a fairly short eye-to-eye length compared to modern standards, making it hard to upgrade. Even if you are able to replace the shock unit, the rear suspension geometry (which is impossible to change) is a very basic older design which won't do the new shock justice. The gears, wheels, bottom bracket, brakes etc should all be upgradable, although it won't be money well spent.

You should easily be able to get some cranks, twist shifters and wheels to keep your bike running for under £400, but I would recommend looking on the second hand market rather than trying to upgrade your current bike to a greater standard.

Drago

Legendary Member
1. Probably not.

2. Yes, if you must.

3. You can probably get useable ones less than that, although 400 sheets would put you on a good, useable hardtail.

At the end of it you'll have a shiny turd, for a turd it will still be. It won't ride any better or be any better off road. The frame, the component that gives the bike it's important characteristics, will be exactly the same. If you want a better ride, then a better bike is the only way. Do you think these boy racers Corsas and Saxos go any better?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/to-upgrade-or-not-to-upgrade.172151/
Read my thread.
Yes you can do it if you want.
You will spend more money than you think.
You will improve what you have.
Ultimately you will be better sinking the money into a new bike, for me, another 100 or so sheets would have got me the "Calibre Two Two" from "Go Outdoors". :sad:

Edit, and this with the benefit of a few months "cool down", looking back with hindsight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/to-upgrade-or-not-to-upgrade.172151/
Read my thread.
Yes you can do it if you want.
You will spend more money than you think.
You will improve what you have.
Ultimately you will be better sinking the money into a new bike, for me, another 100 or so sheets would have got me the "Calibre Two Two" from "Go Outdoors". :sad:

Edit, and this with the benefit of a few months "cool down", looking back with hindsight.
Your thread is quite positive!

I was thinking of messing up my road bike but messed up myself instead. Now I'm thinking about messing up the BSO. Maybe turn it into a single speed.

But I think you're right. I'll start it, fail, give up, and have bits of bike everywhere for years and lose a lot of cycle time.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Your thread is quite positive!

I was thinking of messing up my road bike but messed up myself instead. Now I'm thinking about messing up the BSO. Maybe turn it into a single speed.

But I think you're right. I'll start it, fail, give up, and have bits of bike everywhere for years and lose a lot of cycle time.

At the end of the day it's up to you. I was positive, and yes I've saved some money over the cost of a new bike. But I've got a bike with a collection of cheap parts that still needs a lot of fettling, for instance just noticed my rear wheel bearings are loose etc etc. I could have had a new bike in the garage that I really "want" to get out on. My bike is always going to be compromised.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

In part it's a good idea. But only if you treat it as a learning experience which you're going to throw away at the end.

To learn how to build computers I bought a cheap one, dismantled it and re-built it. I did the same with bikes. My Raleigh SP150, currently on eBay, was the first bike I built and there's problems with it. However, I've learnt and built 3 others since then.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
In part it's a good idea. But only if you treat it as a learning experience which you're going to throw away at the end.

To learn how to build computers I bought a cheap one, dismantled it and re-built it. I did the same with bikes. My Raleigh SP150, currently on eBay, was the first bike I built and there's problems with it. However, I've learnt and built 3 others since then.

That's a good example - I did the same and hated PC hardware ever since.

Do Apple do bikes yet? ;)

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just had a change of heart.
Been out tonight on the mtb for the first time in ages, properly off road where possible. Tightened up the rear wheel bearings adjusted the rear derailleur and she ran sweet as!
Was with my mate on his nearly new trek 29er and could do everything he could. Limiting factor was as usual my muscles! I don't need a new bike, so there!
https://www.strava.com/activities/294284529

Top Bottom