BSO upgrades

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get yourself a second hand 90's rigid MTB. They are crackers. Had mine since new, but they aren't worth much. Find a decent rigid, with tange Cromo and Deore LX and not much used for cheap money.

Very capable machines. Mine has had a respray and has some little used 'period' XT kit fitted when the LX stuff wore out due to use

HovR

Über Member
Get yourself a second hand 90's rigid MTB. They are crackers. Had mine since new, but they aren't worth much. Find a decent rigid, with tange Cromo and Deore LX and not much used for cheap money.

Very capable machines. Mine has had a respray and has some little used 'period' XT kit fitted when the LX stuff wore out due to use

+1 on this. Nothing wrong with building up an old/cheap bike, but generally the less suspension the better - especially when it comes to rear suspension.

Tin Pot, you could find an old classic hardtail or rigid MTB frame for under 10 or 20 quid, even free some times, and swap your current kit/upgrades over to it. It'd be a good learning experience, and you could end up with a real decent bike at the end of it.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Ive looked forward for cheap mtbs in eBay, nothing at ten quid for sure.

How about taking one of these Vitus Vee-1s and putting a front suspension fork on it?
2011-vitus-vee-1.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/vitus-bikes-vee-29-city-bike-2014/rp-prod81000

HovR

Über Member
Ive looked forward for cheap mtbs in eBay, nothing at ten quid for sure.

Oh the good deals certainly don't jump out at you that easily. To be honest I've found eBay to be the worst place to get a bargain bike/frame as they get tonnes of publicity and opportunity for everyone to bid on them.

Watch Gumtree, Facebook classifieds & free pages, recycling centres, your mates sheds, ask around. It might take a little while, but there's stuff out there.

Loads of old unused rigid mountain bikes sitting around that people would take a few beers for, even if they hadn't previously considered selling. Great for a project.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
Not many mountains in Kent.

I'm just going around trails, the most work I might do is an offroad duathlon, no downhilling.

Singlespeed makes it a bit harder :smile:

There is another use for gears. I ride a lot along the canal tow path and frequently come across walkers, either with or without dogs. When they don't hear me (naff bell) I change right down and still manage to stay upright without clipping their heels. It's been good too, to learn how to ride s l o w l y since I've always had quite poor balance.

Top Bottom