Builders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Everyone is right so far. Builders don't wait till they are at a job and then realise their drill packed in yesterday and needs a new one.

I work with them everyday. Don't waste anytime on him.

He's either

1. Turned up and not fancied the job or feels he's underpriced it.
2. He's trying to keep you happy by turning up and is off to another job and will have some mad excuse for his AWOL today.
3. He's not in the mood

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
4F said:
So a builder comes to a job having already quoted on it and then claims that he cannot start as he needs to buy a new drill and you have not seen him since and he is not answering his phone.

He has done a runner and I regret to say you will probably not see him again. If by any coincidence he does ever come back make sure you do not pay him until the job is complete and to your complete satisfaction. Do not believe anything they say about needing the cash up front to but materials.

Yeah it's a labour intensive job so no cash until it's done thus we have paid nowt.

He has sent a quote through and just checking his address and he lives about 35 miles away.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Greedo said:
Everyone is right so far. Builders don't wait till they are at a job and then realise their drill packed in yesterday and needs a new one.

I work with them everyday. Don't waste anytime on him.

He's either

1. Turned up and not fancied the job or feels he's underpriced it.
2. He's trying to keep you happy by turning up and is off to another job and will have some mad excuse for his AWOL today.
3. He's not in the mood

Yeah the job doesn't "need" a drill a screwdriver would surfice although the screws are probably not gonna come out with just a screwdriver.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get three established FAMILY builders in for quotes and go with the one you trust, not the cheapest.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Rigid Raider said:
Get three established FAMILY builders in for quotes and go with the one you trust, not the cheapest.

I know a really good guy but he jacked it in for a different job. He can't spare the time now sadly.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We had British Gas to install a new boiler years ago ... the first guy turned up, asked to go to the loo, disconnected the old boiler and then promptly disappeared to get some parts and was never seen again. That was a wasted day and then left without the boiler too!!

Mr Pig

Rigid Raider said:

Seconded. My next-door neighbour's are builders, I've known them for twenty years. They're not the cheapest but they never have to advertise and are never short of work. They do an honest job and people appreciate that.

If a builder is much cheaper than everyone else there will be a good reason for it. Most probably they'll be cutting corners big time, on material quality or time taken to do the job, and you could be heading for years worth of hassle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's bloody hard getting a good builder/plumber sometimes.

We know a few now, but had our boiler fixed a few years back - just the circuit board, but it took the guy days to sort/diagnose it - and charged us. Now got a very good plumber, lives next door to my sister in law - excellent - diagnosed the problem, ordered the part, and came to fit it at 9.00pm the day they got the part - charged a very reasonable rate......

Night Train

Maker of Things
If I get on to a job and find my drill has 'broken' I just get another one out of the tool box and carry on with the job. I'll replace the broken drill on my lunch break.

If I quote on a job and I get the price wrong I will tell the client and do the job anyway for that price. It's not the client's fault and the client was good enough to give me the work in the first place.

Fortunately most of my regular clients don't ask for a price, they just ask for a start date.

bonj2

Downward said:
Still no answer and no word from the shylock.

F it I'll be off on a country ride in the sunshine tomorrow morning.

That's probably the best policy - take the day off work, and if he isn't there by 9:01am then go for a ride :smile:

Top Bottom