Building a BBQ on a Bike Trailer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Valiant

Veteran
Well ladies and gents, it's getting close to that time of the year when hundreds of crazy mofo's decide to cycle 120 miles overnight to a cold and wet beach in Dunwich. So to liven up the mood and be crowned the sillyest person ever, I is building a BBQ onto a bike trailer and towing it init.

Now, first off, the spit roast idea was sublime but sadly the weight involved in a whole pig would mean I probably wouldn't make it to Dunwich and well a BBQ is so much nicer and we can have a veggie and meat sides.

I'm imaging me taking the BBQ and some charcoal and everyone else helping out by taking some charcoal and whatever they want, sound fair?

So how do I build this bastard then?

I have a CarryFreedom Large Y trailer, the bed on which is 60x45cm but I can remove the bed and bolt a modifed BBQ onto it.

Share ideas people... obviously weight is a major factor!

Arch

Married to Night Train
sounds like a great idea! And you seem to have it sorted really - just bolt the thing onto your trailer! And charcoal is fairly light to carry. Just detail someone else to carry all the long spikey tools and so on, share the food out between a few more...

You might start a trend - titanium BBQs to save weight will be all the rage next summer...:smile:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
An old aluminium beer keg makes a great BBQ.

Get a local engineering shop to plasma cut a quadrant out of it, which can then be hinged to make a lid.

Two pieces of round bar inserted longitudinally through holes drilled in either end will support the cooking grill.

It would be strong enough to mount the wheels and towing arm directly to it.

Or just buy one of these stainless steel puppies and have it for ever and a day.

Canrider

Guru
Look, you've got a while yet, *teach* the pig to pedal and go on a tandem. Then slaughter the pig and roast it on the beach.

ChrisKH

Guru
Invest in the disposable aluminium trays you can get to put on the barbecue. Great to use when the coals are too hot or creating too much fire. They can also be used to serve up the cooked food on. They're very light and versatile.
Your food gets cooked without being burned.

Will1985

Über Member
You legend! First the sound trailer, and now a BBQ.... I'm definitely doing the Dynamo now. No ideas yet though aside from the thought that Dunwich beach car park is very rutted and will make for a tricky last 100 yards.

Top Bottom