Building my Surly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
OK, next installment!
I'm going to put these on.
P1010448_zps5c00a802.jpg

What on earth are you going to do with those, I hear you ask:wacko:
Well, the surly frame comes with downtube bosses and as I'm running it fixed they will be redundant. I don't want to lop them off as I might use them in the future (who knows) and the covers you can buy cost a load so........
they are going to be made to fit!
P1010449_zpsba51b4a2.jpg

First of all I drilled a 5mm hole all the way through I then drilled a slightly bigger hole on one side to countersink the bolt head and drilled a slightly bigger hole still on the other side to fit over the boss. I did have lots of photos but they were blurry and a bit rubbish to be honest. But the finished result looks good.
P1010455_zps754a6fd1.jpg

and straightened up!
P1010456_zpsbf8cfd2a.jpg

You can see I've fitted the pedals too.
I'm a bit frustrated with Planet x, last week I ordered the bottle cages and they came really quickly. Over the weekend I ordered my bars/stem and pedals etc from them. I got an email on Monday evening saying the pedals were now out of stock and to ring them to arrange what I wanted to do. So, Tuesday morning I rang, spoke to someone and told them to refund the pedals. I went straight to chain reaction and ordered some pedals from them. Today (Wed) said pedals arrive from chain reaction, I haven't heard a thing from planet x. Not too happy as I was hoping to have a ride on my new bike before I go away at the weekend.:cursing:
I know who'll get my money in future.

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've just got off the phone from planet x, I'm even more annoyed at them now, not refunded and my order is due to be picked today (yeah right, you mean it's slipped to the bottom of the pile) someone will ring me shortly. Hopefully, if they get their fingers out I might get my order on Friday.
:sad:

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Now I'm back from my hols, I've got the final bits and pieces and they have gone on the bike.
It's finished!!!
I'd forgotten what a pain in the bum fitting mudguards is, it took me just over four hours to get them on. Maybe I'm too picky but I like things to be right.
All I've got to do now is toe in the brakes and give her a spin! Photos to follow.
^_^

OP
OP
jazzkat

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Had my first ride, a quick 15 mile blast. A bit of a lumpy route, so I had a good chance to shake it down a bit. It got a christening too as I got caught in a shower on the last 5 miles. Those big mudguards do the job!
1st impressions - The fit is great, I was worried about sizing and ummed and aahed over going for a bigger frame. I'm glad I didn't this is perfect.
It's a really comfy ride, the steel and the wide tyres doing their job. The B17 is super comfy out of the box but it is a bit squeeky, it was getting better towards the end of the ride.
The brakes need a little tweeking to get a bit more leverage at the lever and I've already tweeked the headset a little.
Gearing wise, I didn't take into account the fact that it would be a bit heavier than my other fixed bike (doh! a real Homer moment) and so the gearing is a bit high for winter. I had anticipated going down a bit for winter anyway and I may go for a smaller chainring, down to a 47 or 48 (from the whopping 51 that's on it) to give me either 68 or 70 inches.
I'm made up at the results and the bike rides as well as I had hoped.
Now for the real fun bit.......getting some miles in on her!
Final finished pics, thanks for looking in:thumbsup:
DSC_0171_zps071a5531.jpg

DSC_0172_zpsda9c116d.jpg

Sillyoldman

Veteran
Love it. What make is the front light?

Top Bottom