Buying Specs on line.....good idea or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I've just got varifocal reacatalite glasses from Specsavers for £176.
I have the prescription, now, so I'll be looking online for some distance only sunglasses (as reacatalite don't darken through windscreens). I'm hoping to pay between £35 / £45 for them. Not decided where from yet so I'll keep an eye on this thread with interest.

I disagree. I have bought many pairs online and never had an issue. Every supplier wants a photo and measurements in exactly the same way as an optician does, there really isn't any alchemy in it - and if they do need tweaking, then Vision Express will do that foc, even if you offer to pay.

Do you mean a bricks and mortar Vision Express? Are you buying from them online?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Do you mean a bricks and mortar Vision Express? Are you buying from them online?

They are my opticians - in bricks and mortar, but I suspect others also provide an adjustment service.

And ETA - if you are going where I think, my offer to pay for this service was refused, even when I was completely transparent about my not buying them there. In fact I was complimented on them 😊

Jody

Stubborn git
There is a reason glasses are cheaper online. You don't have to pay for the optician/dispensers expertise.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Another vote for Glasses Direct. My last three pairs of varifocals have been from them. I think I first used them in about 2010, at the time I was quoted about £600 for a pair from my optician. Glasses Direct, on their most expensive lens and various other coatings etc were about £150.
At my last eye test about three months ago, the optician quoted just short of £1000. Glasses Direct would do them for £250. Extra thin lenses, coatings, the lot. (Although I am still using my previous pair as my prescription hasn't changed much).

To measure your PD, put your glasses on and get your wife/ girlfriend, live in chum, whoever, to mark the centre of your pupils on the glasses and measure the distance, easy peasy.

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Never used online.

Can't see any problem as long as you are getting regular eye checks at an opticians.

Over 60's get them free in England plus Specsavers have an excellent OCT scan for just £10 it is seriously fascinating looking at the images produced and they check for a number of very serious eye diseases - a complete no-brainer at a tenner.

https://www.specsavers.co.uk/eye-health/oct-scan

byegad

Legendary Member
I had two pairs of varifocals made on a bogof deal by vision express, one was fine, the other totally useless, they had got the second one's lens centre a full cm out!

It made me realise how fiddly they are to get properly set up. Which put me off the idea of buying them online.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
To measure your PD, put your glasses on and get your wife/ girlfriend, live in chum, whoever, to mark the centre of your pupils on the glasses and measure the distance, easy peasy.
There's also a good few Apps that can do this for you if you haven't any assistance.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There is a reason glasses are cheaper online. You don't have to pay for the optician/dispensers expertise.

I pay for the Optician (Optometrist strictly speaking is the person who tests). The Dispensers' skills aren't huge, and online is very much their equal IME.

Seriously, this is a proper rip-off in many ways, from the frame/lens guys through to the High Street.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I had two pairs of varifocals made on a bogof deal by vision express, one was fine, the other totally useless, they had got the second one's lens centre a full cm out!

It made me realise how fiddly they are to get properly set up. Which put me off the idea of buying them online.

It's an interesting response - you're glad you went to the individual who made a right horlicks of it ^_^

They are my opticians - in bricks and mortar, but I suspect others also provide an adjustment service.

And ETA - if you are going where I think, my offer to pay for this service was refused, even when I was completely transparent about my not buying them there. In fact I was complimented on them 😊

They know how to butter-up their customers then (or in this case, someone else's customer ;-) )

I used them a few years ago for a spare pair of distance glasses for driving and was really pleased with them. Comfier and just as good as my optician’s pair.

Good to hear, I'm distance only and have already spotted 2 frames I like to try.

Hmm I could ask my neighbour but I haven't been here very long so.... I'm guessing I could do this myself in the mirror. Will try a few times and average it so it should be ok :whistle:

Top Bottom