Cambridge guided busway - cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

First use of the Cambridge guided busway cycle path to commute to work today. FANTASTIC. No more fighting through traffic and stopping every few yards for red lights. Smooth ride all the way, hardly anyone else using it and the buses that speed by are on the guided track so don't even have to fight them. Oh -and you feel like you're out in the country and not riding through the city. As you can tell - I'm a fan.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I saw that on the news the other day. Great idea having a separate bus lane. But why do they need the fancy guidance system, the driver still operates everything else, perhaps I'm missing something.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I took this yesterday from my work to the train station and it saved at least five minutes of what is normally 15 minutes (on a good day). The only problem I had was the traffic light at the station end never changed from red, so I had to get off and push on the pavement. I think it's only a temporary one and the permanent ones should work properly when they are in place.

I don't want to use it every day though as I don't do enough exercise as it is... maybe I could go the 'wrong' way down it and then turn round and go back.

Didn't see any buses on it though... :tongue:

pshore

First use of the Cambridge guided busway cycle path to commute to work today ..... hardly anyone else using it

I was on it this morning too and I saw more cyclists than buses. Come to think of it, there might have been more cyclists than passengers. One chap was cycling in his suit, with laptop bag, on his electric bike doing 15mph in a nasty head wind. Nice.

There are hoards of users at the weekend, cycling, walking, jogging etc. It is really popular for recreation use too. It is fab!

I cycle to work every down and up this route.

Simply put the best cycle path in the world and I am lucky its here.

It has transformed my route from cars and hassle to just superb car free cycling, I cannot praise it enough, and the tarmac is smoother than my wife's rear end and that is smooth !!! and when the last bit to St Ives is complete , pure heaven

d87heaven

It has transformed my route from cars and hassle to just superb car free cycling, I cannot praise it enough, and the tarmac is smoother than my wife's rear end and that is smooth !!! and when the last bit to St Ives is complete , pure heaven

I would need a stroke and perhaps a little patting before I can confirm this statement.

I would need a stroke and perhaps a little patting before I can confirm this statement.

LOL !!!

Can you cycle on the Swavsey-St.ives section then? I thought it was closed off to be raised/tarmac'd?
I was glad to read it wasn't going to stay with the loose pack surface, it really does make a difference to the journey time/speed.
Now its just the wind on the open flat fens you have to deal with. :smile:

Top Bottom