Cambridge guided busway - cycle path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pshore

I checked out the Swavesey to St Ives section the weekend before last. It was not complete then but was part way through being surfaced - it shouldn't be long now.

I am missing that section, its all rather pleasant through the lakes.

I checked out the Swavesey to St Ives section the weekend before last. It was not complete then but was part way through being surfaced - it shouldn't be long now.

I am missing that section, its all rather pleasant through the lakes.

Thanks. Is it completely closed off to cycles or could you nip through that bit on the grass bank?

Crankarm

Guru
I was on my road bike, and being only smooth surfaced part way I didn't reach where they are making the dutch culvert.

You might NOT want to risk nipping round on the track given its recent history !

I don't think SS was suggesting doing that. He was asking about using the grass bank?

Gog

Regular
Took a trip down the last section this morning, Looks like they have about a mile at most left. Got talking to someone walking his dog and he said that one of the contractors thinks they should be complete by the weekend or middle of next week as they pretty much have only got to put the tarmac down.

I have been watching this progress ever since August, when it was closed for the works.
This week I have cycled home to St Ives and its now tarmac, and yesterday they had laid the super smooth top layer as well.

So today I cycled all the way in from St Ives to Cambridge and then all the way home as well.

It is not officially open, or finished as I said hello to a contractor this morning as I cycled past, I half expected to be told to get off but he said hello too! I think if I went down in the day time it would be a different matter, but I felt lucky this morning.

Cycling home seems okay cause at 6 they have all gone. There are still some no entry signs and the odd barrier to be aware of and in the dark they are tricky to see, but as its not officially open I suppose they can leave these things out. So be warned.

So its not officially open, but it is tarmac now, all 100%, needs a road sweeper down there as there is some debris, but compared to cycling to Cambridge and back to St Ives via the roads its simply heaven.

I cannot thank the council enough for building it. The best cycle way in Britain.

Best bit... Cuts 15 mins off my journey, and when I see people on there I will wonder if they are on cycle chat ....

Crankarm

Guru
I have been watching this progress ever since August, when it was closed for the works.
This week I have cycled home to St Ives and its now tarmac, and yesterday they had laid the super smooth top layer as well.

So today I cycled all the way in from St Ives to Cambridge and then all the way home as well.

It is not officially open, or finished as I said hello to a contractor this morning as I cycled past, I half expected to be told to get off but he said hello too! I think if I went down in the day time it would be a different matter, but I felt lucky this morning.

Cycling home seems okay cause at 6 they have all gone. There are still some no entry signs and the odd barrier to be aware of and in the dark they are tricky to see, but as its not officially open I suppose they can leave these things out. So be warned.

So its not officially open, but it is tarmac now, all 100%, needs a road sweeper down there as there is some debris, but compared to cycling to Cambridge and back to St Ives via the roads its simply heaven.

I cannot thank the council enough for building it. The best cycle way in Britain.

Best bit... Cuts 15 mins off my journey, and when I see people on there I will wonder if they are on cycle chat ....

Thanks Kevin for a full recce. I might give it a go in a few weekends time to christen the tarmac with my wheels along with the hundreds of others no doubt, not to mention the many dogs which will be running around loose or worse still on those wretched extendable leads and crapping all over the tarmac. I wouldn't be surprised if a few horse riders decided to take a ride a long it too. But great they have finally finally finished it. I still think it should have been one big cycle super highway. I wonder if they would allow a cycle cafe along it? There is plenty of space for one or two or three .................... I wonder if they could continue it across the Fen to Peterborough? They need a few cycling celebs to open it? My vote is for Vicky P and Becky James preferrably in lycra and on their bikes :tongue: .

It will be a great surface for TTing. Maybe a few local clubs will adopt it. It's gotta be safer than TTing on the old A1. I still see cyclists riding down the A14 at Bar Hill !!!!! :ohmy:

Update

its completely fenced off near the St Ives bit, they have laid tarmac at the front of the dutch culvert bridge thing, and you can't get through.

Back to the road Monday but its only got to be a few days surely before its open

Crankarm

Guru
Update

its completely fenced off near the St Ives bit, they have laid tarmac at the front of the dutch culvert bridge thing, and you can't get through.

Back to the road Monday but its only got to be a few days surely before its open

Thanks Kevin. It might be still be next year until it opens then? When it eventually does I'll try and use it at some point driving to and from the park and ride each end as I am NOT cycling on the roads or maybe bussing it at the Cambridge end.

Thanks Kevin. It might be still be next year until it opens then? When it eventually does I'll try and use it at some point driving to and from the park and ride each end as I am NOT cycling on the roads or maybe bussing it at the Cambridge end.

I think by the end of next week it should be complete.

They have done a great job, its brilliant

It's already been used for TTing, by the look of the marking I spotted on there a couple o months ago.

And what's wrong with cycling on the A14?

:sad: Sounds like a cyclist was struck by a large vehicle at A14 Bar Hill about 5pm ish on Monday evening, at first they were saying it was life threatening but now the 49 year old is not as bad as thought - cyclist was struck and the bike ran over, no vehicles stopped.

Top Bottom