Cambs police "Ride single file"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sim2003

I imagine the comments are the usual depressing anti-cycling rubbish, mixed with threats of violence that the CEN seems to think is acceptable to allow on their website.

You mean like this one. Pisses me off to think people actually think its ok to target cyclists (or anyone). The fact these same people could be someone you work with or see daily is really disturbing

Acceptable...PNG

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I imagine the comments are the usual depressing anti-cycling rubbish, mixed with threats of violence that the CEN seems to think is acceptable to allow on their website.
Yes most are but the one who has this
55.jpg
as an avatar is a real wankbrain!

snorri

Legendary Member
"Officers from South Cambridgeshire police contacted cycling clubs across the county urging them to travel in single file to allow traffic to pass"
That may work in a city, but it certainly does not work in rural areas.
A German shipping company has been organising led shore excursions by bicycle for its cruise ship passengers when they call in to my area. Every year it's the same, around 30 cyclists in single file on our twisting rural roads, safe overtaking is all but impossible.
Never mind, they are only on our roads for a few hours before sailing on to the next port:biggrin:.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/820...mbridge-area/story-28986775-detail/story.html

I wonder what would happen if I called the cops to complain cars were in my way?

Not a lot. But if the majority of those members from cycling clubs turned up at the neighbourhood meetings and made the same complaint, they'd have to pay it the same service they paid the motorists in the article.

Welcome to the wonderful world of neighbourhood policing where 'targets' are set by the community*.

*(community members who have the time and inclination turn up at those meetings)

Just in case it doesn't come across, this isn't a dig at people not attending the meetings, it's a dog at the concept of neighbourhood policing and those meetings, something I've never really agreed with. That's the system we have for now though.

Ignore it, the police do not make the laws .they just enforce them :angry:

They aren't even enforcing laws here though. They are pandering to the will of the attendees of their latest neighbourhood meeting. I've never been (and never want to be) a neighbourhood officer, but this almost makes me want to be one for a single day, so that I can educate them and show them the video of a car overtaking a load of cyclists in single file, double file, and grouped up.

Unfortunately I'm guessing no officer on their team was a cyclist and so appeased them by saying "of course, no problem we will contact the clubs".

Glow worm

Legendary Member
That may work in a city, but it certainly does not work in rural areas.
A German shipping company has been organising led shore excursions by bicycle for its cruise ship passengers when they call in to my area.

That sounds great- much more preferable to diesel belching coaches- good on'em!

OP
OP
glenn forger

glenn forger

For a bit of balance, here's a local newspaper doing an article on cycling that isn't stupid and inflammatory:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/...nger_to_cyclists__says_Graham_Carter/?ref=twt

I can’t help thinking, once again, that our council needs to learn to listen to people who might have a different view and might know better.

So if any of them would like to see it from a cyclist’s perspective, I would gladly lend them my bike, but they would have to bring their own change of underwear.

If they are brave enough to take up my offer, they could leave me a message.

I’ll be back as soon as I’ve finished firing myself out of a cannon.

Yes most are but the one who has this
55.jpg
as an avatar is a real wankbrain!
more than one person is using that avatar. I hope you don't mean this one (the oldest posts are from him)
Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 14.27.40.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Fixed that for them. Stupid journalists, swallowing that hook line and sinker.

South Cambs police obviously do not have a clue.

It is not up to the journalist to distort what the police say in any way, and certainly not in a way to suit your view.

The article is non-judgmental, it reports what the police/residents say and is balanced by quotes from cyclists.

Top Bottom