Can flashing lights cause epileptic fits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
On my ride last night, a pedestrian complained my lights "were not very good for epileptics", he was a young lad about eighteen at a guess and didn't appear to be being nasty, more off concerned tone of voice.

On the front I have a smart light 35 watt in flashing mode and a maglite xl200 which has a vey rapid and bright-ish flash mode.

Has he got a point? Can I unintentionally cause someone to have a fit?

I got annoyed with some t055er this evening who had an ultra bright rear light on flashing as he rode along teh GBW. Totally pointless and un-necessary. I was told to "F**k off!" when I told him to turn it off flashing mode.

Crankarm

Guru
Possibly as some flashing bike lights are very bright.
On the other hand, if I was so afflicted, and a flashing light was coming towards me I would avert my eyes or close them until the danger was past.
Good question.

:eek:

Crankarm

Guru
Can understand your concern,however in my opinion flashing lights are the best way to get me noticed and hence keep me as safe as possible on the bike. So I will continue in flashing mode, as has been stated if your affected dont look at them.

They are a bl00dy menace and should be banned. There is no need for them. The RVLR which is the primary legislation describe a "constant " front light. No mention of flashing what so ever. Half the time it is off so totally illegal. How about if I could set the headlights of my car to flashing see how you like being blinded? For people like you who insist on riding on the GBW with flashing lights through the darkness as there is no motorised traffic to deal and you causing dazzling to all those who have the misfortune to approach you I reserve the full power of both my Max D lights aimed at you and when driving my main beam headlights.

geo

They are a bl00dy menace and should be banned. There is no need for them. The RVLR which is the primary legislation describe a "constant " front light. No mention of flashing what so ever. Half the time it is off so totally illegal. How about if I could set the headlights of my car to flashing see how you like being blinded? For people like you who insist on riding on the GBW with flashing lights through the darkness as there is no motorised traffic to deal and you causing dazzling to all those who have the misfortune to approach you I reserve the full power of both my Max D lights aimed at you and when driving my main beam headlights.

Each to there own mate, but as Ive not been knocked off (yet ) I'll stick with flashing mode thank you. !!!

Not sure what you mean GBW ?? and as for there being no motorised traffic, where I ride, I think you will find the busy roads of Liverpool and surrounding areas have a considerable amount of motorised traffic.
To compare it to car headlights is rediculous, and you know it !!!

dodgy

Someone in the local town tried to pull me over today as "your light could cause an epileptic fit".

She was driving a Range Rover V8 in white. I guess she spends quite a lot of time worrying about the welfare of other people.

The biggest problem with flashing front lights are on cycle paths, little or no street lighting, the blindingly high intensity flashing coming at you head on. At times I've been totally unable to see where I'm going and have had to stop, always doing so at an angle so as to block the progress of the culprit.

blazed

220lb+
On my ride last night, a pedestrian complained my lights "were not very good for epileptics", he was a young lad about eighteen at a guess and didn't appear to be being nasty, more off concerned tone of voice.

On the front I have a smart light 35 watt in flashing mode and a maglite xl200 which has a vey rapid and bright-ish flash mode.

Has he got a point? Can I unintentionally cause someone to have a fit?
Two flashing lights on the front? One is bad enough cannot see why you would need two.

Flashing front lights are irritating and distracting. People saying about emergency vehicles is very different as bike lights are so small the light is a lot more concentrated.

classic33

Leg End Member
4Hz that's the key. If you flash a light at 4Hz you will induce a fit.
No! See https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/photosensitive-epilepsy#about-hertz

"Most people with photosensitive epilepsy are sensitive to 16-25 Hz. Some people may be sensitive to rates as low as 3 Hz and as high as 60 Hz."

4Hz that's the key. If you flash a light at 4Hz you will induce a fit.

Not according to the evidence...

It is a function of intensity and sequence, as above the range is wide and only an outlier would be affected at 4Hz

I fecked someone up I used to work with, by flashing a blue green laser at 5 Hz. That was the first and last time he called me out on that point.:laugh:

Intensity was probably the greater effect with a laser

All the bike lights I have, state that they comply with all lighting regs, including when in flashing mode. It does advise using constant mode in street lit areas, but there's nothing to stop you using flashing mode all the time, if you so wish.

Top Bottom