Can you teach people to have empathy? -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

22 so left wondering if it's Asperger's Syndrome or High-Functioning Austism I have.

Not surprised at all, personally I think it's the former :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

SD1

It does seem a bit obvious - 34.

Same here. 34/36.

Bugger all to do with empathy. It's about being able to read signs and emotions.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Interesting how many people got all but a couple right & say how obvious it all was. I got bored when I realised at 14 that I hadn't even done half, but even by then I'd got either three or four wrong.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Oh, and like her I got bored very quickly. Most of the questions I did bother to answer are too easy - one answer which is very different in character to all the others. I rather suspect that the pictures have been posed by mediocre actors told to "look terrified - utterly terrified". If he'd taken the pictures from candid snaps of real people behaving in real ways it might have been a more interesting test - albeit one that didn't support his thesis.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I got bored of that.

It's all very well trying to teach someone people skills, but if you're anything like me, if the skills aren't there in the first place, learned behaviours just aren't fast enough for realtime conversation. I have a very strong esprit d'escalier...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I got them all wrong, but then it is 6 years since I retired from being a psychotherapist.

As well as "reading" people's faces, you would have been listening intently to what they say. as well as what they were "not" saying. You would also have been concentrating on the next thing you would say. That is entirely different, isn't it, to just looking at the faces on a page?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Interesting how many people got all but a couple right & say how obvious it all was. I got bored when I realised at 14 that I hadn't even done half, but even by then I'd got either three or four wrong.
I got bored too but decided to stick with it. I found that I could actually make a decision very quickly if I went with my initial reaction so I did the second half in about 1/4 of the time it took to do the first half.

I don't see the connection with empathy. Many psychopaths are supposed to be good at reading other people's feelings, they just do not care about them.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
4! In my defence I didn't look at the eyes at all but made completely random selections. Which is still pretty bad. So I tried again, this time choosing the top spot every time.

correct!.jpg

Much better

better.jpg

but still qualifying as emotionally blind. This of course proves absolutely nothing, except that if you're going to subvert test protocol, don't waste time trying to be extra fancy random.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got bored too but decided to stick with it. I found that I could actually make a decision very quickly if I went with my initial reaction so I did the second half in about 1/4 of the time it took to do the first half.

I don't see the connection with empathy. Many psychopaths are supposed to be good at reading other people's feelings, they just do not care about them.
When I told 'er indores about the test and my dismal performance, she said she 'wasn't the least bit surprised'. Not quite sure how much I should read into that, but I don't think it was a compliment.

Top Bottom