Car quandry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Mr Pig said:
One of the reasons we bought a saloon instead of a hatch is that we've got three kids in the back and wanted three full belts and a ridged parcel shelf. It is a consideration.

Your right it HAS to be a consideration when you have kids, those that dismiss it soon change their mind when they have sprogs of their own.

bonj2

gbb said:
Did you see the test they did on Top Gear...
10 year old and a new people carrier of the same model. I think they were Renault Espace's. They crashed them in identical circumstances at 30mph.
The old one was destroyed..and would have at least caused very serious injury, if not death to the driver.
The new one...better designed to meet newer regulations, didnt even set off all the airbags...only the one that was neccessary. The driver would have simply climbed out uninjured.

Wouldnt stop me personally from buying an old car, but it just goes to show the difference in safety levels.

But if you did the test that will probably be devised in 10 years time, crashing them in the identical circumstances that will be devised then (which will probably be a lot tougher than today's, but still not unrealistic) then it will probably show that the today's car would leave the occupants completely smashed up, whereas the future car will save them...

All it proves is that cars get better over the years - relatively speaking, the more modern the better, but it doesn't prove that in absolute terms a certain car is good 'enough' but a certain other car isn't.

bonj2

gbb said:
Did you see the test they did on Top Gear...
10 year old and a new people carrier of the same model. I think they were Renault Espace's. They crashed them in identical circumstances at 30mph.
The old one was destroyed..and would have at least caused very serious injury, if not death to the driver.
The new one...better designed to meet newer regulations, didnt even set off all the airbags...only the one that was neccessary. The driver would have simply climbed out uninjured.

Wouldnt stop me personally from buying an old car, but it just goes to show the difference in safety levels.

e.g. crash a brand new car into a brick wall at 100mph, itwill prove that the occupants would be killed stone dead. But the car of the future will have seen the wall coming and fired its ejector seat!
Are you going to say therefore that it isn't a good enough car to take your kids in?

Wigsie

Nincompoop
bonj said:
All it proves is that cars get better over the years - relatively speaking, the more modern the better, but it doesn't prove that in absolute terms a certain car is good 'enough' but a certain other car isn't.

No your right, but when you have kids you will take every reasonable measure possible to ensure they are safe.

e.g. I would rather have my kids in an 04 plate laguna with dodgy air con unit than in a 1985 saloon car of a similar size with just one air bag.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
bonj said:
e.g. crash a brand new car into a brick wall at 100mph, itwill prove that the occupants would be killed stone dead. But the car of the future will have seen the wall coming and fired its ejector seat!
Are you going to say therefore that it isn't a good enough car to take your kids in?

What?? a 2 year old in an ejector seat? are you mental?

I prefer to think of it more like the cars in Demolition Man, they would fill instantly with a liquid that solidifies to stop you moving at all,

tyred

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
One of the reasons we bought a saloon instead of a hatch is that we've got three kids in the back and wanted three full belts and a ridged parcel shelf. It is a consideration.

It is something many people don't seem to realise but in a heavy accident the contents of your boot could easily join you in the passenger compartment and do immense damage to you and your passengers. A saloon car will always be safer in this respect but in any car, it is essential to make sure the spare wheel, the jack and wheel brace and any other heavy tools you carry in the boot are secured properly.

bonj2

Wigsie said:
What?? a 2 year old in an ejector seat? are you mental?

I prefer to think of it more like the cars in Demolition Man, they would fill instantly with a liquid that solidifies to stop you moving at all,

well the ejector seat'd have a parachute, obviously... :biggrin:

bonj2

Uncle Mort said:
Oh, dear got-to-get-fit, there goes your thread....:biggrin:

I think we're pretty much unanimous that he needs to get a new car anyway, so it's pretty much done and dusted.
Now the hot weather's here, what use is a car without electric window motors and aircon! The two things you DON'T want to break!

tyred

Legendary Member
Uncle Mort said:
Ahem...
1967-Austin-Healey-3000-Mk-III-C-full.jpeg

And the NCAP safety rating of a 50 year old big Healey is ...?

Not that I care. I would love to have one:thumbsup:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
bonj said:
easy. go and milk a nearby cow. Give the older ones something to keep them occupied as well - killing two birds with one stone. (which you could also try and literally do).
Fresher aswell.
:biggrin: Inspired!

Top Bottom