Car quandry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
bonj said:
Alternatively, enter 'banger' running mode - sell the laguna, and simply by ANY car no matter how old or shoot, but simply on the strength of having a long MOT. You can then just run it for 10 or 11 months and try to ignore any problems it develops, knowing that you won't be forced to spend anything on motoring for 10 or 11 months, at which point you can just dispose of it and get another one with long MOT.

This works well if your single, but I would never do this when one of its primary uses is ferrying my kids around.

bonj2

Wigsie said:
This works well if your single, but I would never do this when one of its primary uses is ferrying my kids around.

Is it any more of a disaster if you break down when you've got kids to when you haven't?
It's not good breaking down whether you have or not. But can't see how having kids makes it any worse.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Was thinking more of the safety aspect. Cheaper older cars tend to be less safe in a crash (ironically the laguna's are one of the best in a crash). Although saying that some higher specc'd older Audi's, BMW's etc would maybe be ok.

Breaking down with kids would be infinately more stressfull than on your own. lol

tyred

Legendary Member
Try and buy one that has been owned by the same person for many years and has been well maintained. An old but well maintained quality car should be perfectly reliable. Probably more relaible than many of the modern cars tbh.

I've been driving a Peugeot 205 for the past two years. It cost me 300 quid, I've put 50,000 miles on it without problem, the only part I had to replace for the test was the rear part of the exhaust which was rusty. I know I have been arguing against French cars but I make a special case for the 205 as they were so simple nothing much goes wrong and even the base models were very entertaining to drive. I would never buy a 206 in a million years.

bonj2

tyred said:
That's the best way to go motoring. Buy an old Audi 80 (1987 -1994). Very cheap now and if you buy a good one in the first place, you will probably never need another car. Much the same applies to the Merc 190 or pre 2002 C Class but are more likely to rust than the galvanised Audi. The E36 BMW 3 series wasn't quite as durable and they are tight for rear leg room. Early 90s VW Passats or the Jetta/Vento are also excellent cheap buys which should suit your needs. The Germans really did built quality cars back then.

I used to have an E36 - it was actually a brilliant car, the best 'old' car i've ever had, in fact if i had it now i'd probably keep it, but i then decided i wanted to carry bikes and wanted a van, so did that, but it was unreliable (finally sold it due to electrical problems) and got a new small car with a tow bar mounted bike rack, which is less thirsty than the BMW was.

When i was shopping round for it i originally looked at the coupe ones and one without rust on the wheel arches was like hens teeth. Then started looking at 4 door saloons and found a good one.

tyred

Legendary Member
An E36 BMW isn't a bad car by any means but the E30 that preceeded it was a vastly better built product. But they are starting to be appreciated by the classic people now so good ones are getting pricey. Besides, there is little point in buying a 3 series when you can often have a 5 series for similar money.

bonj2

Wigsie said:
Was thinking more of the safety aspect. Cheaper older cars tend to be less safe in a crash (ironically the laguna's are one of the best in a crash). Although saying that some higher specc'd older Audi's, BMW's etc would maybe be ok.

Breaking down with kids would be infinately more stressfull than on your own. lol

well, what did people do in the eighties? ;)

You could just as equally say "I'm not taking my kids in a 2009 car, because cars today aren't as safe as they're going to be in 10 years, I'll wait 10 years when safety technology has advanced."

Wigsie

Nincompoop
bonj said:
well, what did people do in the eighties? :biggrin:

You could just as equally say "I'm not taking my kids in a 2009 car, because cars today aren't as safe as they're going to be in 10 years, I'll wait 10 years when safety technology has advanced."

I can't answer that bonj. ;):laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
got-to-get-fit

got-to-get-fit

bonj said:
Is it any more of a disaster if you break down when you've got kids to when you haven't?
It's not good breaking down whether you have or not. But can't see how having kids makes it any worse.

try breaking down when one of the kids needs his bottle .....you wouldnt believe the decibels that a 1 yr olds scream can reach......it can rattle you fillings and believe me the little burgers can keep it up for ages.

bonj2

got-to-get-fit said:
try breaking down when one of the kids needs his bottle .....you wouldnt believe the decibels that a 1 yr olds scream can reach......it can rattle you fillings and believe me the little burgers can keep it up for ages.

easy. go and milk a nearby cow. Give the older ones something to keep them occupied as well - killing two birds with one stone. (which you could also try and literally do).
Fresher aswell.

tyred

Legendary Member
bonj said:
easy. go and milk a nearby cow. Give the older ones something to keep them occupied as well - killing two birds with one stone. (which you could also try and literally do).
Fresher aswell.

You really do have an answer for everything.

Ever think of going into politics...

gbb

Legendary Member
bonj said:
well, what did people do in the eighties? ;)

Did you see the test they did on Top Gear...
10 year old and a new people carrier of the same model. I think they were Renault Espace's. They crashed them in identical circumstances at 30mph.
The old one was destroyed..and would have at least caused very serious injury, if not death to the driver.
The new one...better designed to meet newer regulations, didnt even set off all the airbags...only the one that was neccessary. The driver would have simply climbed out uninjured.

Wouldnt stop me personally from buying an old car, but it just goes to show the difference in safety levels.

Mr Pig

One of the reasons we bought a saloon instead of a hatch is that we've got three kids in the back and wanted three full belts and a ridged parcel shelf. It is a consideration.

Top Bottom