Carrying a pocket / folding knife.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Is that the requirement in England?
Up here it’s ”lawful authority (e.g. a cop with a baton) or reasonable excuse”.

I think the wording might be similar and good reason is just the everyday paraphrasing.

Gillstay

Über Member
I have a few knives and the one that stands out for sharpness is a German Tina budding knife.

Very easy to sharpen and then razor sharp for a long time. Carbon steel.

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I once had one of these:
Obviously they're still available. I have two; one is the 'original' with the Bakelite grips and t'other is as seen on the website, but I bought mine from my local Army Surplus a couple of years ago for £25. :smile: Just as good, but slimmer and lighter. :okay:

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
On a similar note, on the occasions I've loaned my knife to someone for a task, they've invariably gingerly handed it back afterwards with word to the effect of 'Cor, that's sharp - !'. Er, yes, it's a knife - ! A blunt knife is not a good thing.
When I began in the hotel trade many years ago, I was introduced to 'the tomato test' for grading the sharpness of a knife. Gently hold the 'test knife' at the very end of the handle twixt thumb & forefinger. Draw said knife across a firm tomato and if simply the weight of the knife cuts cleanly into the tomato, it passes - ! :okay:
Few knives I've come across over the years, including ones owned by professional chefs, would pass. :whistle:

Only time I carry a knife in public is when it’s stuck down the top of my sock. I’ll be digging it out for Burns Night.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
On a similar note, on the occasions I've loaned my knife to someone for a task, they've invariably gingerly handed it back afterwards with word to the effect of 'Cor, that's sharp - !'. Er, yes, it's a knife - ! A blunt knife is not a good thing.
When I began in the hotel trade many years ago, I was introduced to 'the tomato test' for grading the sharpness of a knife. Gently hold the 'test knife' at the very end of the handle twixt thumb & forefinger. Draw said knife across a firm tomato and if simply the weight of the knife cuts cleanly into the tomato, it passes - ! :okay:
Few knives I've come across over the years, including ones owned by professional chefs, would pass. :whistle:

My ultimate test is similar. If your knife can slice a tomato sideways (ie parallel to the work surface) with only the weight of the tomato holding it in place, then it's sharp enough.
To be honest I don't keep my penknives that sharp, but try to with my cooking ones.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Only time I carry a knife in public is when it’s stuck down the top of my sock. I’ll be digging it out for Burns Night.

That will be a sgian dubh then worn with a kilt. They are or were illegal and some people had fake tops sticking out of their sock tops. I still have one for wearing but the handle is fairly plain as I made it myself after the original got broken.

All my kitchen knives are razor sharp and I detest a blunt knife as it is potentially dangerous.

Nobody has mentioned pruning knives which have a curved blade. My father ran a market garden and the seed merchant reps used to come round for his seed order. Depending on the size of his order various gifts were on offer including pruning knives. I still have one of his old knives.

Alex321

Veteran
That will be a sgian dubh then worn with a kilt. They are or were illegal and some people had fake tops sticking out of their sock tops. I still have one for wearing but the handle is fairly plain as I made it myself after the original got broken.
Nope. They have never been illegal, as the law regarding knives (Criminal Justice Act 1988) explicitly exempts those worn as part of National Dress:
Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

(c)as part of any national costume.

All my kitchen knives are razor sharp and I detest a blunt knife as it is potentially dangerous.

Nobody has mentioned pruning knives which have a curved blade. My father ran a market garden and the seed merchant reps used to come round for his seed order. Depending on the size of his order various gifts were on offer including pruning knives. I still have one of his old knives.

As with most such knives, they are perfectly legal to possess, and to have at home or work, but not to wander about with them in public without good reason.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Nope. They have never been illegal, as the law regarding knives (Criminal Justice Act 1988) explicitly exempts those worn as part of National Dress:
Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

(c)as part of any national costume.

As with most such knives, they are perfectly legal to possess, and to have at home or work, but not to wander about with them in public without good reason.

I admit to being a bit confused by carrying being legal or not but I remember it being publicised at the time and fake sgian dubhs being marketed. Mebbe just opportunist marketing but I still think the law in Scotland was different and there was a general clamp down on all knife carrying as knife crime was getting to be problem in cities like Glasgow.

I agree that kitchen and other work knives are ok in their proper place and never suggested otherwise. The restaurant trade would fold otherwise.

Top Bottom