Cav hanging up his wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't want to jump the gun...

But my son rode to the coop and brought a hoodie pocket full of chocolate..... I think he may have potential.....!🤣🤣🤣

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Too many hang on; and achieve nothing but a tainting of their aura…..
Cav's already done that ... more than once.

Look at him - he's past it, it's time he retired, he's yesterday's man he's ... oh, hang on, he's winning again. ;)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Too many hang on; and achieve nothing but a tainting of their aura…..

I don’t think taint is the right word. I actually have a lot of respect for those world tour pros who carry on, when they are no longer the very best , because they love racing. Approx 99.5% of pros will never win a world tour stage, and will remain a domestique.

Jameshow

Veteran
Good for him ! Takes courage to get out while you’re near the top - but realise you’ve peaked and there’s only one direction ahead for you. Too many hang on; and achieve nothing but a tainting of their aura…..

Lots and lots to do outside of cycling. And I’m sure he’ll manage to earn a crust…😎

You talking about me!! 🤣🤣🤣

Cathryn

Legendary Member

On the subject of people staying on when they are way past their best

I think it depends on several things

obviously enjoyment to the sport is key - same for any sport - I heard of an ex top line England rugby player who was still playing for his club many years later - he was down to the 5th team but stayed on coaching and playing where he could contribute - and helping the bar profits!

but if they feel they can contribute by changing their training so be better able to be a domestique or pulling long turns on the front then I would admire that if they want to do that

However some just can;t do much that they feel is worth it - or have other priorities - look at Nico Rosberg in F1 - won the championship then just buggered off and spent time with his family that he had neglected for years to get where he was.

Horses for courses and all that
anyway - enough woffle - I'll go now

Va Va Froome

Über Member
Goes without saying: legend.

Contributed massively to a cycling golden era for these islands [including the Belgian and Kenyan parts!].

When the nearly moments and glorious failures became big wins! :sun:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Can he get one last tour stage to get a fairytale ending . Don't think he can beat the very top sprinters in a straight sprint but from a reduced group he could do it
Never say never. If another team's sprint plan falls apart, few are better than Cav at riding the bunch and finding the gaps.

Or sometimes another rider to crash into but let's hope that's not how this story ends.

In my opinion the leadout train he had in the old days was a thing of beauty

I thni I am remembering mostly a year on the final stage of the Tour where they just pealed off in sequence until it was Cav second and the other Mark - then cav just lit the afterburners

wonderful stuff

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
My own pic of Mark Cavendish in the prologue of his first Tour de France 2007. Just coming out of the Serpentine bridge in Hyde Park:

CavendishPrologue.JPG
Good one Cav! Hope you make it 35 TdF stages and have a happy, fulfilling future career.

Top Bottom