CC Ecosse Arthur’s Seat Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I did 8 times round here earlier in the year to raise money for Breast Cancer Research (Pedal it Pink) and I have to confess it took me nearly 3 hours:sad:. From looking at the route map that someone posted earlier we did it the other way round, ie anticlockwise but still the same climbing I guess.

It must have been a closed road event, you can only cycle around Arthur's Seat anticlockwise if the road round the back is closed, other wise it is a one way system, just in case anyone else is thinking of trying it.

I did take the opportunity to do it anticlockwise last week while it was closed for the Duathlon World Championships (I went in the evening when the course wasn't in use) and did a 12:37 loop, would have been quicker if the flat section of road by the car park wasn't sectioned off where the timing mat was, had to go off road for a while.

It must have been a closed road event, you can only cycle around Arthur's Seat anticlockwise if the road round the back is closed, other wise it is a one way system, just in case anyone else is thinking of trying it.

I did take the opportunity to do it anticlockwise last week while it was closed for the Duathlon World Championships (I went in the evening when the course wasn't in use) and did a 12:37 loop, would have been quicker if the flat section of road by the car park wasn't sectioned off where the timing mat was, had to go off road for a while.

How long is the park closed for on a Sunday, it could have been done then ?

marooncat

It was done on a Sunday, however we did not go along the road for the flat bit at the bottom as that was still open but had to go on the path at the side which was a pain. But I can not blame that for the time it took me, I think it was actually my lack of confidence going down hill on the bike!! I was overtaking people on the uphill section who were then overtaking me on the downhill section as I just did not feel happy to go careering down the hill :angry:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It was done on a Sunday, however we did not go along the road for the flat bit at the bottom as that was still open but had to go on the path at the side which was a pain. But I can not blame that for the time it took me, I think it was actually my lack of confidence going down hill on the bike!! I was overtaking people on the uphill section who were then overtaking me on the downhill section as I just did not feel happy to go careering down the hill :angry:

Well if you can over take people on the uphill section, you ought to come on some CC Ecosse rides then... ;)

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Good I am looking for some company at the back ;)

There was talk about a CC Ecosse Ladies ride (which would rule me out) maybe you would like to start with that, it was either Telemark or Jane Smart who were talking about it, maybe a it would be a good idea to get it off the ground.

Meantime, any more for the CC Ecosse Arthur’s Seat Challenge...

Eoin Rua

Did 5 in just under 60 mins this evening - although I got humiliated as I was dropped on the first climb by my buddy who was riding a single speed! :angry:

Laps 1 and 2 I was struggling so much, next 3 were a lot easier. Needless to say I am not bike fit, nor swim fit as I found out this morning :whistle:

fimm

Veteran
I though you are not ever allowed to ride the wrong way round? There were people posting on the triathlon forums in the run-up to the duathlon asking people not to as the park authorities were getting cross about it.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I though you are not ever allowed to ride the wrong way round? There were people posting on the triathlon forums in the run-up to the duathlon asking people not to as the park authorities were getting cross about it.

That is why I took the opportunity when the World Duathlon was on (in the evening)...

It is not a good idea to go the wrong way round unless the whole park is closed which is very rare.

fimm

Veteran
That is why I took the opportunity when the World Duathlon was on (in the evening)...

It is not a good idea to go the wrong way round unless the whole park is closed which is very rare.

Yes, I understood that, but I'd thought that someone had said that they had gone round the wrong way when the road was closed to traffic on a Sunday, which I don't think you are allowed to do. However re-reading the thread, I made a mistake - it was marooncat who cycled the wrong way round as part of an organised, closed-roads event. Apologies.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It would be great if they were to fully close the roads every Sunday, but this is Edinburgh and we have to put up with half measures....

Top Bottom