Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
True, but:

1: That road is significantly busier
2: Duke's Pass, while fairly tough, is a very rewarding climb with great views and a lovely decent on smooth tarmac (at least last time I was there...)
the Dukes pass is stunning when the sun is out...And the sun is out...I've got a idea for today cycle now

True, but:

2: Duke's Pass, while fairly tough, is a very rewarding climb with great views and a lovely decent on smooth tarmac (at least last time I was there...)
Thanks, @Rasmus ^_^

We leave in a week, I'll try to have the rest of the routes posted tonight so that they can be criticised...

"Why did you choose this route when the B666 is a shortcut over the River Styx and is flatter; it goes along the Valley of Death instead of climbing out of the Ninth Circle"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Can I mention that turning right just prior to Aberfoyle and then later on a left still takes you to Callander without having to climb the Dukes Pass.
I thought that would be easier than climbing the pass. Oh and it's 3 miles shorter!
Well, two great minds think alike :smile: took a wee break from the house work to do some Goggle viewing.
Yes, if at Aberfoyle at Rob Roy we take the right towards the golf club and towards the A81 we avoid hills, but also there are no views, it looks rather dull.
Drops you in Callander, right at our hostel, avoiding the very busy stretch of A84, Callander's main street really.

True, but:

Fiona and I did a bit of that road on Monday, coming from Dunblane, at around 10am. It was very quiet, but, as you say, rather non descriptive.

Conclusion, @Edwardoka, I'm all for the Duke's pass, I know I will have to walk some ... more picture opportunities :tongue:
You faster ones can always speed ahead, it's not like there's a chance for us girls to get lost.
Warning: once the A821 ends, turns into A84 at Callander, we really must be careful of lorries. I think from the turn to the hostel it's only a couple of miles anyway. There should be a back way via route 7 somewhere, at the traffic lights, I did inquire at the tourist info office.

Conclusion, @Edwardoka, I'm all for the Duke's pass, I know I will have to walk some ... more picture opportunities :tongue:
You faster ones can always speed ahead, it's not like there's a chance for us girls to get lost.
It's not too bad a climb, and as we'll all be carrying touring loads there's not much opportunity for racing snakes to prove themselves.

Warning: once the A821 ends, turns into A84 at Callander, we really must be careful of lorries. I think from the turn to the hostel it's only a couple of miles anyway. There should be a back way via route 7 somewhere, at the traffic lights, I did inquire at the tourist info office.
We don't ride the A821 to the end, we turn off the A821 at the east end of Loch Venachar :tongue:
Stop doubting my routing madskillz!

I'm adopting the @User10119 approach of 'Pedal and Follow' :smile: :bicycle:
It's remarkably peaceful and relaxing, I find. Even better is to stoke a tandem, because then you don't even need to think about the following bit. Or gears, or brakes. Just pedal :biggrin: Will you have a rack pack full of CAIK tho?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
[QUOTE 3841972, member: 10119"]It's remarkably peaceful and relaxing, I find. Even better is to stoke a tandem, because then you don't even need to think about the following bit. Or gears, or brakes. Just pedal :biggrin: Will you have a rack pack full of CAIK tho?[/QUOTE]
It won't by Crinklycaik if I do :sad:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
My first attempt at a posting, just another suggestion to add to the mix...too boring?
https://goo.gl/maps/DkNik
Hi Tracey, and :welcome:
Having done the scenic route already, I don't mind doing the "boring" one.
Things to consider:
What about the rest of the Glasgow contingent, they would be missing out on all the lochs in the first stage of the tour?
Will we be able to collect BigJim if we follow this route?
Do we have to change our meeting place?
@Edwardoka how do I get Tracey's route to my Garmin?
When are we going to decide the final route? I would like to know before the departure day :smile:

Currently finishing up the mapping for day 2:evil:
I'm not going to invite the controversy of suggesting that we go via Lochan na Lairige, although I will almost certainly give the climb a shot if there's time...

Top Bottom