Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Like this one?

image-jpg.97625
Hello there... who's a pretty bike? :whistle::wub:

Another example of Sustrans strange choice of route, which will presumably affect your trip, is between Kingussie and Aviemore. I did a round trip Aviemore/Kingussie/Aviemore a while back. Sustrans takes you on the lumpy B970 to the east of the River Spey, when the B9152 which is much flatter and shorter, runs parallel to the A9. Both are very quiet traffic wise, so I don't understand why they didn't just route via the B9152 :wacko:.

I can only assume the Chief route planner at Sustrans is a raging masochist with a fetish for hills and mud. OK for short routes, but if I was doing LEJOG and was doing extra miles and extra climbing for no good reason I would not be amused!
I agree, the B970 is a smidge lumpy and not very scenic. At least with the B9152 you get a view to the hills to the west - but the B970 is single track road which means that in theory drivers will be more careful and less likely to be hoofing it round corners at silly speed. *le shrug*

To give you a further idea of Sustrans' occasional routing idiocy, I have a distinct memory of taking the "off-road" route from Carrbridge to Slochd and being dumped in a grass field with a burn and a stone bridge (apparently called Sluggan Bridge). I'd like to find that again. Maybe not on a loaded tourer though...

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I've routed the whole trip using MyCycleTour which I assume routes you using the best route for a bike. Much the first leg on the A81 from Milgarvie. It looks a good road to me but maybe others know better. Are we totally married to the Sustrans route? If the roads are not actually dangerous, I'm easy which route I take and I'm not in love with MTB type trails. I've ridden Sustran routes in the past [one near me] and they are not always the best IMO, if you are not on an MTB and we 've had a lot of rain/mud this summer. Sustrans seem to take funny diversions to avoid perfectly reasonable roads at times. I don't see a problem if somebody [yea, okay, maybe me] wants to take a different route and we meet up somewhere even if it's just at the hostel. I'm more bothered about the weather than the traffic at the moment. How bad is the traffic situation on alternative roads?

@Pat "5mph" @Edwardoka is there anywhere the glasgow contingent can meet @bigjim so he is not riding the whole first day on his own?

I'm sure @Edwardoka said the A81 was ok...

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Great, we shall decide a meeting time. Meeting place will be the SECC (cannae get away from my work lol) because @Edwardoka's route starts there :hello:
I get to Central at 9:13, and it doesn't look too hard to get to the SECC from there, so probably any time after 9:30?

I'm confused so I feel a need to get confirmation on what the plans are :blink:

I have so far plotted out 3 routes for day 1:
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8664123 : (NCN7 all the way) Glasgow, Dumbarton, Balloch, Drymen, Aberfoyle, Callander
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8664402 : (Kelvin Way, joining NCN7 at Drymen) Glasgow, Maryhill, Bearsden, Drymen, Aberfoyle, Callander
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9626605 : (Kelvin Way, A81 route directly to Aberfoyle) Glasgow, Maryhill, Bearsden, Gartness, Aberfoyle, Callander

My vote is for route 3 as that cuts out the aimless wandering of NCN7, the nasty climb from Drymen and although it has less in the way of food / supply stops - no stopping, no shopping! :okay:

With regards to intercepting @bigjim - If we go route 1 then @bigjim would have to meet us either in Glasgow or near Drymen (or en-route). The other routes would involve him joining the peloton on the outskirts of Bearsden (probably near the golf course).
Based upon prior rides it will not take longer than an hour from the SECC to there so we can time it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom