Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
You would be better on the roads than that path, the braes between thorn hill and aberfoyle are pretty quiet traffic wise.

Plus one on tugs suggestion to avoid the dunblane roundabout, traffic flies around that. His alternative has a slight bump, but is dead to traffic and gives lots of photo ops as you go up it, then a fun descent down into doune where you barely have to peddle

Right guys, we did it, @flyingfifi and I. From Callander to Glasgow along NCR7.
Truly, I never want to do it again, beautiful views, oh, yes, but what a route!
I think we need to do a @MikeW-71 ^_^ rethink the trip, I never wanna do that route again, every muscle in my body is aching, don't think I could do it again tomorrow for sure.... 4 days in a trot? :stop:
Do we know how the rest of the way to Inverness is?
Suggestions? :whistle:

- The NCN7 route between Drymen and Aberfoyle is much hillier than the route further east (I really need to get round to finishing my mapping :sad:)
- The route between Balloch and Drymen makes some highly questionable detours - your terrifying bridge and muddy track at Croftamie can (and should) be completely ignored by staying on road at that point.
- The road between Callander and Killin has some off-road stuff alongside the west shore of Loch Lubnaig with one sharp climb up to the disused railway line in Glen Ogle, but worth it for the amazing descent into Killin.
- Along the south bank of the Tay and through Aberfeldy is pretty undulating.
- There is a sharp climb out of Strathtay heading towards Pitlochry
- The road flattens out a bit until Blair Atholl
- Long but steady climb out of Blair Atholl along the terribly broken and eroded path alongside the A9 that I mentioned before
- Lovely descent from Dalwhinnie
- Lumpy stuff (nothing major) from Dalwhinnie until... ooh Carrbridge?
- Out of Carrbridge is a long steady climb called Slochd
- After that it's all downhill

You'll be fine, just don't bring a bike that weighs more than a car!
Multi-day touring gets easier when you're committed to riding each day. When I was in France the thought of getting on the bike again after a hard day filled me with dread. Until I got on the bike the following morning ^_^

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
- The NCN7 route between Aberfoyle and Drymen is much hillier than the route further east (I really need to get round to finishing my mapping :sad:)
- The route between Drymen and Balloch makes some highly questionable detours - your terrifying bridge and muddy track can (and should) be completely ignored by staying on road at that point.
- The road between Callander and Killin has some off-road stuff alongside the west shore of Loch LUBNAIG (helpful, ain't I? ^_^) with one sharp climb up to the disused railway line in Glen Ogle, but worth it for the amazing descent into Killin.

Fixed the loch for you :-)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
How am I going to get my 2 Belles to Callander? I think we will take the train to Dunblane again, then cycle on.
Any better suggestions? I can't possibly take them on the route we did today, I don't wanna do it again for a start!

How am I going to get my 2 Belles to Callander? I think we will take the train to Dunblane again, then cycle on.
Any better suggestions? I can't possibly take them on the route we did today, I don't wanna do it again for a start!
Dunblane would be the easiest option, but an alternative would be a ride from SECC over Queen's View, along the scary sounding but actually quiet A81.
It does involve the Duke's Pass towards the end of the day but there are plenty of cake shops in Aberfoyle :hungry:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Dunblane would be the easiest option, but an alternative would be a ride from SECC over Queen's View, along the scary sounding but actually quiet A81.
It does involve the Duke's Pass towards the end of the day but there are plenty of cake shops in Aberfoyle :hungry:
Route link? Pretty please?

Route link? Pretty please?
It's a very rough draft but http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9626605

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
You asked how to get to callander, i offered an alternative to going from dunblane. The back road from doune to callander is in pretty poor condition too, so wouldn't describe it as a good route to start 4 days cycling on.

Ta again, I meant from Glasgow :smile:
I'm starting to go off a wee bit from this tour :sad:
Multi-day tours take a while to find a rhythm - you'll be fine.
Look at the route I linked above. I happen to know that you've ridden it at least as far as the Queen's View. After that it's largely flat, open road, until the Col du Duc. Which you've already done today, on the more difficult off-road route.

Top Bottom