Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ummm, unless you've posted the wrong URL... that is the exact route you did yesterday :-p
It is also identical to http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8664123 (apart from Aberfoyle to Callander and the scary bridge at Croftamie)
Yeah, I just realized lol you are right.
Ok, yours is much better, I had a wee look.
Can you confirm it's final, ready for me to load in the Garmin? :smooch:
You'se better have something ready for the next stages, this route planning is quite stressing.
I'm amazed I can still stand today, even planning to do some hedge cutting :smile:

Any of the 3 I've posted are fine to be loaded onto the Garmin. I'd personally go for option 3, it's a good distance and a challenging ride without all the wandering and random hilly bits but I'll defer to the wisdom of the crowds...

I'll finish the rest of the trip this week, I promise!

And no, you should be able to download them by clicking on the Export tab at the top right and choosing the best format for your Garmin

bigjim

Legendary Member
I've routed the whole trip using MyCycleTour which I assume routes you using the best route for a bike. Much the first leg on the A81 from Milgarvie. It looks a good road to me but maybe others know better. Are we totally married to the Sustrans route? If the roads are not actually dangerous, I'm easy which route I take and I'm not in love with MTB type trails. I've ridden Sustran routes in the past [one near me] and they are not always the best IMO, if you are not on an MTB and we 've had a lot of rain/mud this summer. Sustrans seem to take funny diversions to avoid perfectly reasonable roads at times. I don't see a problem if somebody [yea, okay, maybe me] wants to take a different route and we meet up somewhere even if it's just at the hostel. I'm more bothered about the weather than the traffic at the moment. How bad is the traffic situation on alternative roads?

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I think the best idea is to find an acceptable route for the Glasgow people to take (there looks to be quite a few on-road options, but I am no expert - though when I was there Callander was full of weedgie roadies so there must be options!) then when we are at the Callander hostel waiting on our delicious meal being prepared we go over the maps looking at the route and possible alternative.

I've had a scan at the map over lunch and there seems to be a mix of on/off road (mostly on) through the whole route with a couple of markers for steep zig zags and descents. I'm with @bigjim in that we shouldn't be slaves to NCN7 if there is a viable alternative - the aim is to make it to Inverness!

Further North there are limited options outside the A9 (and no, that is not a viable alternative!) but I found this report from @Danny from 2008 that filled me with a bit more optimism for the trip.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar I just had a wee look at your ride out to Callander to check out the route you lot will be taking, i see you've went over the big roundabout between Dunblane and Bridge of allan, i know its a busy roundabout and some folk might not be keen on it, so when i cycle out that way i take the road below, it might look like a tough wee climb but trust me it isn't that bad and it does cut out going up that road out of Bridge of allan and then going over that crazy roundabout

https://www.strava.com/segments/5659287?filter=overall

So first left after Bridge of Allan Railway Station then keep following the road West (under/over M9) to just outside Doune on the B824? TBF the roundabout wasn't too bad when I went but it was a Saturday and there is a wee climb up the the David Stirling memorial anyway, but if there is a viable (quiet) alternative I'll use it! Cheers :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Here are our pictures from yesterday.
Yes, @Danny's report gives me hope too ^_^
Agreed with @flyingfifi that we (us and 2 other girls) are going to follow @Edwardoka's route number 3 to Callander, can't be any worse than yesterday's haha!

Agreed with @flyingfifi that we (us and 2 other girls) are going to follow @Edwardoka's route number 3 to Callander, can't be any worse than yesterday's haha!
I shall endeavour to accompany you, for it is a route that I know well and it makes life easier for me if I leave from Glasgow rather than making a solo trip from Dundee to Callander and turning up at 11pm :-p

bigjim

Legendary Member
Thanks for the pics. Very useful. I can't see much problem with those surfaces for me, apart from the real stony one but as long as it is not too long, good excuse for a nice walk. A bit like hills. I don't know where I will pick people up coming from Milngavie. If we have peoples numbers shared between us it would make it easier to keep in contact.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
So first left after Bridge of Allan Railway Station then keep following the road West (under/over M9) to just outside Doune on the B824? TBF the roundabout wasn't too bad when I went but it was a Saturday and there is a wee climb up the the David Stirling memorial anyway, but if there is a viable (quiet) alternative I'll use it! Cheers :okay:
yip that's it, when you take the left after the railway station about 2.7 mile into the road you will come to a wee fork in the road, take the right....it when then bring you out just up for the Sir David Stirling statue, with this road you get some stunning views of the Trossachs, i really hope the sun is out when you lot do it, it really is a stop and take a picture view.....The drop from the Sir David Stirling statue into Doune is great fun

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
yip that's it, when you take the left after the railway station about 2.7 mile into the road you will come to a wee fork in the road, take the right....it when then bring you out just up for the Sir David Stirling statue, with this road you get some stunning views of the Trossachs, i really hope the sun is out when you lot do it, it really is a stop and take a picture view.....The drop from the Sir David Stirling statue into Doune is great fun

Like this one?

image-jpg.97625

Brandane

Legendary Member
Another example of Sustrans strange choice of route, which will presumably affect your trip, is between Kingussie and Aviemore. I did a round trip Aviemore/Kingussie/Aviemore a while back. Sustrans takes you on the lumpy B970 to the east of the River Spey, when the B9152 which is much flatter and shorter, runs parallel to the A9. Both are very quiet traffic wise, so I don't understand why they didn't just route via the B9152 :wacko:.

I can only assume the Chief route planner at Sustrans is a raging masochist with a fetish for hills and mud. OK for short routes, but if I was doing LEJOG and was doing extra miles and extra climbing for no good reason I would not be amused!

Top Bottom