Lochs and Glens North - Report

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
My son and I did this ride from Glasgow to Inverness over 4.5 days in August. This is a 216 mile Sustrans route which mostly follows scenic minor roads, but also has some long off road sections which keep you away from busy trunk roads. Overall it was a beautiful route which I would happily recommend to anyone.

Day 1: Glasgow to Drymen near Loch Lomond (30 miles)
Travelled up to Glasgow by train in the morning. From the centre of Glasgow there is a relatively easy and flat route out along the Clyde, a canal, and the river Levan.

Day 2: Drymen to Killin (48 miles)
This was the hardest day as there was a lot of steep hill climbing, and quite a difficult off road section through the Achray forest. This was the only section of the whole 216 mile route that was not really suitable for touring bikes, but only lasted for a few miles and did avoid a major A-road. Once you emerged from the forest you then went along a beautiful path along Loch Venachar.

2znv97k.jpg

Suffered a major ambush by midgies when we stopped fix a puncture, but our Avon Skin So Soft kept them at bay long enough sort out the problem.

Day 3: Killin to Pitlochry (38 miles)
Beautiful run along Loch Tay and the Tay Valley on quiet roads. Fantastic cycling!

23sg7wn.jpg

jf8zsm.jpg

Day 4: Pitlochry to Newtonmore (40 miles)
We were a bit worried about this section as it takes you over the Drumochter Pass and is described in the guide as “a relentless and exposed climb”.

1o7rm1.jpg

In practice it actually went along a well graded and well surfaced cycle track and was not nearly as difficult as we expected.

2h55ks7.jpg

Day 5: Newtonmore to Inverness (60 miles)
A long, mostly downhill, run into Inverness though beautiful countryside.

2rgf1gz.jpg

Nice report, and good pictures!

Looks like you were lucky with the weather.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
Nice report, and good pictures!

Looks like you were lucky with the weather.
We had quite a few downpours - I just didn't stop to take pictures during them ;)

But on the whole, the weather we had in Scotland was much better than it was down in England at the same time.

OP
OP
Danny

Danny

Legendary Member
longers said:
Looks like a good trip Danny ;) Where next?
I quite fancy Route 78 which goes through Oban, Fort William, and the Great Glen - but that will probably have to wait until next year.

In the meantime I'll probably settle for some long weekends in the Dales.

Danny

Noodley

Dannyg said:
But on the whole, the weather we had in Scotland was much better than it was down in England at the same time.

It always is, we just don;t let on to you lot :sad:

Good pics BTW, I a well acquainted with many of the roads ;) Perthshire is an especially fantastic place to cycle.

melliff

My partner and I did this route over 7 days in the first week of May and we thoroughly enjoyed it - highly recommended. We too found the Drumochter Pass not as difficult as we had expected. For us, the hardest part of the route was the road along the south shore of Loch Tay - a very hilly road with many steep ups and fewer (or so it seemed) downs. And it was not helped by discovering that the hotel at Ardeonaig, at which we were hoping to have lunch, was closed for refurbishment so we had to do another 8 miles of ups and downs before we could have something to eat and drink.
We were very fortunate to have glorious weather for most of the trip. It was probably the best week of the Summer.

First "discovered" the central highlands in 1976 when we stayed near Blair Atholl and I played several round of golf on the pleasant local 9-hole and a couple of rounds at Pitlochry.

Been going back every few years since although never yet by cycle - motorbike for some years and the hood down MGing for the last 6 years.

Drumochter is one of those places that everybody should experience no matter what means of transport. Also a MUST is Glencoe - try to catch it each season, sunny, dark, dry, wet as it is different and magical every time.

How about Cock Bridge through Tomintoul (not forgetting a coffee and cake stop at Lecht ski station) to Granton ?

Damn - I can't get up there again until mid 2009.

Noodley

John Ponting said:
How about Cock Bridge through Tomintoul (not forgetting a coffee and cake stop at Lecht ski station) to Granton ?

Great cycling country.

But don't rely on the ski station being open. I have cycled the Lecht at least half a dozen times this year and it has been deserted. Likewise with Glenshee ski station (although it was open once when I went past.)

Angus Glens are well worth a visit, although you're likely to meet me which would might put you off :biggrin: Glen Clova Hotel is very good for food and refreshments.

Some friends lived just south of Pitlochry between Edradour distillery and General Wades Millitary Road. Excellent road from the distillery to join the A924 north of Moulin and then over the top and round to Bridge of Cally and on to lunch at Blackwater Inn near Blairgowrie. Last time we went 'Texas Tom' and the Inn was boaded over. Did it reopen ?

dannyg - sorry to hijack but your report and pics were so good that they got me (sitting here) reminising (and thinking of all the things I'm missing).

Top Bottom