Albania - North Macedonia - Kosovo - Montenegro - Bosnia - Serbia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
We're planning this leg of our big tour this summer, mid June - Mid July.

We'll stay at Lake Ohrid in Albania previously.

The route is currently envisaged as Ohrid - Skopje - Pristina - Peja - Tara Gorge - Zabljak (Durmitor national park) - Sarajevo - Novi Sad

This is a remote, mountainous region which will also be likely very hot!

We will be relying on B&B/hotels, not camping, doing typically ~40 miles per day with a few rest days. Accommodation looks possible but not easy.

Would appreciate any experience or advice on accommodation and route.

Very specifically, the Cakor pass West from Peja looks the nicest route but is closed to traffic (by tank traps!). I believe it's cyclable, but a permit may be required. There is an open alternative North, the Kula pass. Any experience or advice on this?

Capture.PNG

Any experience or advice on this?
Unfortunately no. Or, at least, not yet! ^_^
I'm sure you already know but CrazyGuyOnABike would be my first port of call. You may also want to check out the FietsVakantieWinkel , a Dutch bike Touring shop that do lots of guide books and maps, especially for out of the way places. They all speak excellent English and are a pleasure to deal with.

This is a remote, mountainous region which will also be likely very hot!
Having some experience of this I'd suggest not underestimating the effect of heat and climbing. I note you're using CT maps - these should show public water fountains along the way. You may want to consider carrying some electrolytes when combining mountains and heat. I have always found tepid water becomes very difficult to drink. Adding a flavoured powder can help - a lot.

That's looking like a fabulous tour in a really interesting part of the world!

Best of luck!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have no advice but have to say, that looks an amazing adventure. I look forward to reading about your exploits.

dimrub

Among the countries along your route, I only have some (limited) experience cycling in Serbia. It was not a great experience, when forced to use the public roads. Drivers were aggressive and incosiderate. This, in stark contrast with the situation in Croatia, where the experience along similar roads was much more friendly. If I were planning such a journey, I'd probably minimize the exposure to Serbia's public roads. The city of Novi Sad stands out to the positive though: a very good cycling path is leading towards it along the Danube, and cycling in the city itself is pleasant.

Good shout

If you're new to CGOAB a couple of hints....
Stay far, far, far away from the fora. When you're far away, up sticks and move even further!
Check the guestbooks for journals you're interested in. Sometimes there can be pretty detailed info in there in answer to questions.
Definitely check out the map page. Zoom in on the part of the world that interests you and you will see dots representing any reports from there. A fabulous way to search for info or inspiration or even just to dream. Pick a random part of the world, zoom in and chances are, someone has gone there on a bike! (It can be slow, though).

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Unfortunately no. Or, at least, not yet! ^_^
I'm sure you already know but CrazyGuyOnABike would be my first port of call. You may also want to check out the FietsVakantieWinkel , a Dutch bike Touring shop that do lots of guide books and maps, especially for out of the way places. They all speak excellent English and are a pleasure to deal with.

Having some experience of this I'd suggest not underestimating the effect of heat and climbing. I note you're using CT maps - these should show public water fountains along the way. You may want to consider carrying some electrolytes when combining mountains and heat. I have always found tepid water becomes very difficult to drink. Adding a flavoured powder can help - a lot.

That's looking like a fabulous tour in a really interesting part of the world!

Best of luck!

Thanks again, have discovered through CGOAB these people will organise the necessary permits.

https://www.zbulo.org/services/border-crossing-permits-peaks-of-the-balkans-via-dinarica/

Need an exact date of travel, and to apply at least two weeks in advance

Top Bottom