North Coast 500 (NC500) advice guidance and companions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dear all
I am thinking of doing NC500 in July or August. I have searched for previous discussions and they were nearly 7-8 years ago. I have seen reports that route is now popular among bikers and motorists and it is no longer as enjoyable as it used to be.
Any recent experiences?
Is anyone planning and would like to join me?

Slick

Guru
It can get busy, but its still a hugely rewarding route. Don't think I'd do it myself as its as tough a route as you would expect but the rewards are high.

How much of it are you thinking of doing and when?

OP
OP
midliferider
It can get busy, but its still a hugely rewarding route. Don't think I'd do it myself as its as tough a route as you would expect but the rewards are high.

How much of it are you thinking of doing and when?

I am thinking of doing it in 10-14 days, I am not in a hurry. Preferably in August but possible in late June early July as well.

Slick

Guru
I am thinking of doing it in 10-14 days, I am not in a hurry. Preferably in August but possible in late June early July as well.

Good luck with it, don't be put off by traffic reports because as I said, its a hugely rewarding route. Certain climbs stick in my mind, and getting to a view point only to see nothing due to the fact we were above the clouds can happen. Lovely wee hotel in Applecross that shouldn't be avoided even if its just lunch. I can still smell cullen skink now. Delish.

OP
OP
midliferider
Good luck with it, don't be put off by traffic reports because as I said, its a hugely rewarding route. Certain climbs stick in my mind, and getting to a view point only to see nothing due to the fact we were above the clouds can happen. Lovely wee hotel in Applecross that shouldn't be avoided even if its just lunch. I can still smell cullen skink now. Delish.

When did you do it? Do you have the GPX files?

Wilberforce

I am up in the Lochinver to Kylesku area from time to time. There are some awesome climbs and of course, descents. I've never cycled any of it but have driven it often.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Wouldn't do it in July or August, far too busy and midgies pretty horrendous in the west. Weather probably not great either.
June probably still busy but not as bad, midgies still a big problem though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
midliferider
Wouldn't do it in July or August, far too busy and midgies pretty horrendous in the west.
June probably still busy but not as bad, midgies still a big problem though.

That leaves May or September

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I cycled all of that area before anyone heard of NC500 as my grandparents lived there and I spent all summer holidays there.
Weather variable and midges are bad in the evenings especially.
I would regard the traffic as far to busy and will never go back but that is only my personal opinion.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Similar to @oldwheels , it has been many years since I did the route. It was on a motorbike, and pre-dates it being given the name NC500 and becoming a victim of it's own success. Back then (probably late 90's) it was a wonderful experience, and I might have been tempted to try and cycle it IF the traffic level hadn't risen to levels of stupidity (if press reports are to be believed). Some of the roads are single track and were never designed for current traffic levels. Another side effect of its popularity is the price of accommodation, if you were planning to use hotels or B&B's. They are thin on the ground and therefore able to charge extortionate rates. Sorry, but it's a big NO from me! But as I say; I have no recent experience. There are plenty of touring routes I could recommend in Scotland, but NC500 isn't one of them.

OP
OP
midliferider
Similar to @oldwheels , it has been many years since I did the route. It was on a motorbike, and pre-dates it being given the name NC500 and becoming a victim of it's own success. Back then (probably late 90's) it was a wonderful experience, and I might have been tempted to try and cycle it IF the traffic level hadn't risen to levels of stupidity (if press reports are to be believed). Some of the roads are single track and were never designed for current traffic levels. Another side effect of its popularity is the price of accommodation, if you were planning to use hotels or B&B's. They are thin on the ground and therefore able to charge extortionate rates. Sorry, but it's a big NO from me! But as I say; I have no recent experience. There are plenty of touring routes I could recommend in Scotland, but NC500 isn't one of them.

Thanks. Very helpful. I would like to hear your recommendations.
I have never cycled in Scotland.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks. Very helpful. I would like to hear your recommendations.
I have never cycled in Scotland.

Recommendations are always fraught with danger though! My ideas for a cycle tour and yours might be at odds. Some people like hills, some don't. Some ride busy A roads, I don't. Some want to stay near centres of population, some don't. Some don't mind midges and rain, some do. Some want to cover 100 miles per day, some happy with 30; some like camping, I detest it ... etc. etc...

But FWIW... My favourite area of Scotland (for cycling) is Dumfries and Galloway. Some climbs but not too brutal (Meggets reservoir to St Mary's loch being an exception!) the Solway coast, inland there are some nice lochs. A lot of nice wee towns and some sensibly priced accommodation. Do it soon as some people are trying to come up with a D&G route to compete with NC500.. FFS, do they not get it? These places are nice because of the lack of traffic and people. Rant/rant over....

Another nice area of Scotland is Perthshire. Lots of choice, again depending on personal preferences. But amazing scenery and if you keep well clear of the A9, there are some nice quiet back minor roads.

In 2018 I rode from Mull of Galloway lighthouse (south western point of mainland Scotland) to John o' Groats. 500 miles, 7 days. So if you want a 500 mile end to end route through Scotland I can supply my rides from Garmin connect.

OP
OP
midliferider
Recommendations are always fraught with danger though! My ideas for a cycle tour and yours might be at odds. Some people like hills, some don't. Some ride busy A roads, I don't. Some want to stay near centres of population, some don't. Some don't mind midges and rain, some do. Some want to cover 100 miles per day, some happy with 30; some like camping, I detest it ... etc. etc...

But FWIW... My favourite area of Scotland (for cycling) is Dumfries and Galloway. Some climbs but not too brutal (Meggets reservoir to St Mary's loch being an exception!) the Solway coast, inland there are some nice lochs. A lot of nice wee towns and some sensibly priced accommodation. Do it soon as some people are trying to come up with a D&G route to compete with NC500.. FFS, do they not get it? These places are nice because of the lack of traffic and people. Rant/rant over....

Another nice area of Scotland is Perthshire. Lots of choice, again depending on personal preferences. But amazing scenery and if you keep well clear of the A9, there are some nice quiet back minor roads.

In 2018 I rode from Mull of Galloway lighthouse (south western point of mainland Scotland) to John o' Groats. 500 miles, 7 days. So if you want a 500 mile end to end route through Scotland I can supply my rides from Garmin connect.

Thank you. Of course I will decide whether the suggested route is good for me. But I am happy to study and decide.
So please let me know your ride in 2018 or any other routes you have.
Really appreciate.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thank you. Of course I will decide whether the suggested route is good for me. But I am happy to study and decide.
So please let me know your ride in 2018 or any other routes you have.
Really appreciate.

This is the MoG to JoG route I took...
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28414361

Day 1 (Garmin). MoG to Ayr.
Day 2 part 1. Ayr to Glasgow.
Day 2 part 2. Glasgow to Stirling.
Day 3. Stirling to Pitlochry.
Day 4. Pitlochry to Boat of Garten.
Day 5. Boat of Garten to Tain.
Day 6. Tain to Bettyhill.
Day 7. Bettyhill to JoG..

Top Bottom