A new route in Suffolk and an interesting/inspiring backstory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I came across this write up on The Wolf Way, a new cycling route in Suffolk.
Of more interest, to me at least, is the backstory; It was developed by a couple, pretty much on their own.
...local couple Sharon Calton and Chris Bower put the Wolf together with nowt but their own legwork and enthusiasm.
“We came up with an outline of the route in an afternoon, and took a year to fine-tune it,” Sharon told me at their cottage just outside Bury. “We needed to test it, ride the roads, find the best options – recce-ing has been time-consuming but fun.”

Imagine the revolution that could occur with some like minded people scattered around various places, mapping routes, providing background info and using Social Media to develop a community and offer support.

Some more of this please!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I saw that too. LOVED the idea.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Good for them and sounds like an interesting route I'll have a proper nose into it later.

Imagine the revolution that could occur with some like minded people scattered around various places, mapping routes, providing background info and using Social Media to develop a community and offer support.

Some more of this please!
Surely though this already exists online? here's one example of thousands of routes collated in one place from folk scattered all over the world. As well as the routes being described there is also a thriving comments section under each one where folk can add their own experiences.

https://bikepacking.com/bikepacking-routes/

Personally I have a couple of lovely routes that I could submit to the world, but the fact that wild camping is illegal in Germany has held me back amongst other things.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
Surely though this already exists online?

You're right. And I know of Bikepacking.com but somehow this seems more ... organic? More local? I was thinking more of the Montanas Vacias in Spain. Local routes created and monitored by local people. For the benefit of the local area and people-on-bikes. A win win.
I really like that there has been a good effort expended to explain the backstory and point out landmarks to reinforce this. It's not just a route it's a story, a fable, history. That very much appeals to me.

Personally I have a couple of lovely routes that I could submit to the world, but the fact that wild camping is illegal in Germany has held me back amongst other things.
The thought did cross my mind about the pitfalls of making a route public and actively advertising it. I get the feeling that the folks who use Bikepacking.com might have a different mentality to those willing to do something like this, a less litigious one. And while wildcamping can be done (with consideration) in parts of Germany how long would that last if suitable spots were advertised online?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Looks good, although I'm unlikely ever to do it (wrong end of the country for me). I do like routes with a back story or purpose, especially if they are of a historical note.
I must say though the wolf sculpture is a bit disappointing, it looks like something I would knock up!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
The thought did cross my mind about the pitfalls of making a route public and actively advertising it. I get the feeling that the folks who use Bikepacking.com might have a different mentality to those willing to do something like this, a less litigious one. And while wildcamping can be done (with consideration) in parts of Germany how long would that last if suitable spots were advertised online?

I've generally got a lot of time for the folk at that website and what they are trying to achieve. If you look past the American centric based content there are a lot of good European contributors and some interesting stories, they are really trying to push equality and inclusion as well, they've had some fantastic articles about the history of cycling from some fascinating perspectives.

With regard the pitfalls of publicly advertising routes, there was an article published a while back of an overnighter on the Heathland where I live. Including in the article were photos of them wild camping and it was pointed out to them in the comment section that maybe this wasn't the wisest thing. An interesting discussion ensued about the legality and ethics of riding and wild camping in a nature reserve but sadly no amendments were ever made to the article.

https://bikepacking.com/plog/heathland-cargo-club/

Having said all this, I've rarely seen any other cyclists in all my years riding there, let alone anyone wild camping, so whilst I'm not happy that the article was not amended, it doesn't appear to have promoted cycling there.

I am also aware that I have several ride reports on this site, from the Heide where I also discuss my wild camping. So there is some degree of hypocrisy from me, however, I think these will have a much more niche UK based audience so hopefully I won't be causing too much bother.

You're right. And I know of Bikepacking.com but somehow this seems more ... organic? More local? I was thinking more of the Montanas Vacias in Spain. Local routes created and monitored by local people. For the benefit of the local area and people-on-bikes. A win win.
I occasionally wonder about building some sort of tool to encourage people to collaborate on routes.

Say I want to cycle across Spain. I could sketch out something pretty easily on c.t, but you might come along and say "actually, if you go via (this road) it's really pretty, and you don't want to miss (this town), but watch out for (that road) because it's full of logging lorries"... and the route would be much better for your knowledge. No one knows everything, after all.

(I really need more hours in the day...)

bluenotebob

Veteran
I occasionally wonder about building some sort of tool to encourage people to collaborate on routes.

Say I want to cycle across Spain. I could sketch out something pretty easily on c.t, but you might come along and say "actually, if you go via (this road) it's really pretty, and you don't want to miss (this town), but watch out for (that road) because it's full of logging lorries"... and the route would be much better for your knowledge. No one knows everything, after all.

This forum does that to a certain extent.

I'm based in central Brittany. I share quite a lot of info on here in the more generalised sections of the forum and I am willing to give anyone specific advice on local routes, possible problems, places to visit etc.

All you'd have to do - as many others do - is to start of new thread asking for help/info/shared experiences on a route through a certain country and you should get some helpful responses.

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
I think these will have a much more niche UK based audience
Qué? ^_^

(I really need more hours in the day...)
You're selling yourself well short there, Richard.
I'm not a fan of being spoonfed but CT is already really useful in this way.

1. Easy to share routes.
  2. The map-of-all-routes in one folder.
  3. And now the markers? So easy for me to stick a comment, a piece of advise, a warning. Anything.
Case with in point, I've just pulled up in a one-mule hilly town and 'discovered' the most wonderful little bar. Destination gone to hell and out with my new tool - Markers. In the old days it would be Osmand but now this little place will show up every time I'm in this part of the world.

When these spread over to the app it will be even easier.
Imagine a hyperlink in the text of a marker to highlight some local info/attraction. Commercial route creators could well pay for such a tool.

You have a really great tool and it's only getting better.
You just need more people paying for it. ;)

Edited to add: the 'Trace GPS' option too, is great for accurately recreating a ridden route.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
This forum does that to a certain extent.
It does, but like you say, only to an extent.

Unfortunately, a lot of the more regular contributors aren't seen as often and sometimes a thread is posted and disappears without comment.

On top of that, there's probably a difference between offering advice and a group of people sitting down to hammer out the ultimate route from A to B or even different versions of it.

Top Bottom